Out of Options

Zaharah pulled Pharah into the throng of giggling tourists headed up to the boardwalk. She kept her eyes and her mind ahead, instead of their interlocked hands, and the softness of Pharah's skin and her glittery pink nail polish. Focus. It was easy to meld into the crowd, climbing the colourful steps up to the boardwalk, hide amongst the wide-brimmed hats and swishing skirts.

She herded the luggage to the front as they mounted the steep steps. Those who didn't want the exercise took the belts that flanked the stairs on either side. Zaharah remembered members of her team using them for exercise in the wee hours, before the shops opened.

Over a hundred steps took them up to the boardwalk where tourists lined the rails to take in the view of the harbour. On the opposite side stores and pop up stalls lined the walkways, selling clothes, jewellery, fired food and handmade wares. They passed a stall selling wide-brimmed straw hats and another with jewellery made from conch shells.

An electric energy pulsed through the planks, generated by the thumping feet of passerby and the excitement of children squealing of every foreign thing they spotted. Crowds and clusters of people dotted the boardwalk, debating what touristy thing they wanted to do next.

Zaharah guided Pharah around them, her eyes trained on the green space peaking out between the buildings. Jade and Roddi should be there by now. Unless... she dashed the thought from her mind before it could form. They'd be fine.

The path they took into the garden was lined with hibiscus and dark wood shaving. Tufts of grass poked between the gaps in the large tiles and morning glory grew wild on the lattices edging the garden. Even when they'd lived in the 700, they didn't come to the boardwalk often, despite the pocking pitch being only a block over. It was too touristy for her tastes.

Roddi's yellowish blonde hair stuck out amongst the cluster of lignum vitae trees. He scrolled through his phone while Jade sat on a stone bench digging through her backpack. The latter lifted her head as Zaharah and Pharah came down the path, her eyes locking on the intertwined finger.

Zaharah gave her a warning glance as she pulled her bag and the micro metal from her back. Warmth and the scent of fruity soap still lingered on her palm from holding Pharah's hand. She lowered herself on the bench next to her sister. "We need to figure out where we're going from here."

Home? Jade signed, as though it was obvious.

Zaharah shook her head. "I'd love to but we don't know what's changed. The house could've been sold. And that's the first place the Director may look."

You mentioned something about an uncle? Maybe we could find him?

"I remember an uncle, but I don't remember a name or a face." Zaharah rubbed her eyes and looked at Roddi. "I don't suppose you have any family here."

He stuffed his hands in his pockets and leaned against the tree. "Not any that I can go to. Didn't Elliot give you some directions? Told you to find someone?"

Cammi. Zaharah bit her lip, paranoia making her gut turn over. She'd rather rely on her own wits than fall into a trap. "Yeah but... I wanted that to be a last resort. I mean... I'm not sure who to trust at this point. I have money in my account. We could rent a place for the night and go from there."

"We should at least check out the place Elliot told you to go to."

Zaharah groaned. He didn't tell me where to go. He told me to find Cam and I don't even know where..." Her words trailed off as a thought crossed her mind. The text conversation during the rushout. She'd dare Cammi to reveal his location. "I do know where he is. But If I remember right, it's a bit far from here."