04

the two drove for what felt for hours on desolate highways, avoiding the occasional empty vehicle in the middle of the road, before the seoul skyline slowly crept into view. almost on cue, the walkie-talkie crackled back to life, startling the two and causing san to swerve.

"we're on the south side of the city. you'll see self-built walls in the middle of a street with a couple of gunmen guarding them, they'll let you in once you tell them who you are. over," the strangers voice told them.

"thank you, over," hongjoong responded, setting the device back down on his lap. he turned to san.

"you hear that? south side," hongjoong stated, san nodding.

"there's probably gonna be a lot of zombies there, what with the city being a big one, so you're gonna have to drive both carefully and recklessly. make sure the doors are locked too."

san nodded once again, becoming increasingly more nervous as they approached the city. he checked the doors and windows, making sure he had a weapon on him incase their vehicle was compromised. hongjoong noticed san's anxiousness, and gently rested his hand on his knee.

"we're gonna be fine, alright? we're gonna find the other survivors and we're gonna be ok," he said softly. san nodded once more, swallowing nervously. he focused his eyes on the road, slowing the car down to a snail's pace- they needed to stay as quiet as possible, but neither of them expected this to work.

as expected, as soon as they were around fifty feet from the city, a horde of loitering zombies saw them coming and began to run their dead selves over to their vehicle. the zombies' speed was scary, and like nothing either of them had seen before. as soon as the first zombie to reach them launched itself at their car, the two exchanged a horrified glance and silently prayed that their windshield would hold.

the drive went horribly. about two thirds of their way in one of the zombies managed to break the rear windshield, attempting to crawl grotesquely into the car before hongjoong gave the order to step on it and shot the zombie directly in the face four times as it grappled at his neck. the zombie's body slumped awkwardly over the back of his seat, it's blood and remnants of its brain oozing onto hongjoong's face and clothing.

"gross..." hongjoong mumbled as he quickly shoved the zombie off of him and began to try and push the corpse out of the hole it'd made before. he succeeded, and let out an abrupt laugh at the sight of the body hitting the floor behind them, that laugh turning swiftly into a grimace as he watched the body almost explode.

as hongjoong turned to sit back down, san hit a zombie with their car at an extremely hard speed, causing hongjoong to hit his head harshly on the roof of the car. the corpse splattered blood all over their windshield and left chunks of flesh on the window. san pulled a face, quickly wiping the blood and flesh away with the squeaky windshield wipers.

hongjoong clutched his head, letting out a groan of pain.

"fucking hell san!" he got out. san only let out a slight giggle before murmuring a small apology. his eyes widened as he noticed something in the distance.

"hyung- i think that's it!" he exclaimed, frantically tapping hongjoong's shoulder to get his attention.. hongjoong turned to look at what he was referencing, his eyes lighting up.

"holy shit- that's it!" he said excitedly, quickly fumbling with the walkie-talkie.

"you base is in sight, over."