Chapter 1

An outcast. That was what Joyce Horowitz was defined as. That girl, that one girl who always had her camera in hand or a book at her nose and no friends by her side. Her teachers adored her. She constantly made good grades, was praised for her good manners and her astounding work for the yearbook. However, the story that is perceived out in the open is usually a completely different book at home. The single-wide trailer her abusive father's shitty salary provided was more like the chamber of a gun, a cold piece of steel just waiting for a bullet to rip through it.

Jim Hopper was Joyce's polar opposite. Captain of the wrestling team, the most popular guy in school. Every girl at Hawkins High wanted to catch his eye. He lived on his family farm, helping out more than he should when his father had to pull a double shift at the station. His home life and school life were in perfect sync. He was loved not only by his family, but by his peers as well. Most of all he was loved by his best friend, Joyce.

Jim had become Joyce's rock. Her safe place when shit hit the fan and she couldn't have loved the man any more than she already did. Jim was a beacon of light in her dark and miserable life. The one man who could see past her baggy clothes, second-hand books and the bruises she attempted to hide.

He had a future and she wouldn't allow him to ruin that because of her reputation. It was the main reason she'd always told him no. The main reason she tried to avoid him in the halls and why she asked to be seated up front in classes they shared. Was she crazy for constantly turning away the most popular guy in school? Absolutely, but the need to protect him outweighed her need for happiness. He couldn't be seen in public with someone like her.

However, that didn't last. Before long, Hopper was breaking every rule in the book that Joyce had put in place for them. To not only protect herself, but to protect him too. He had gotten better at finding her in the crowded halls between classes. Always finding her secret hiding spots for lunch. Just always being the Hopper he shouldn't be in public.

"Jesus Hop!" Joyce hissed through clenched teeth one afternoon when he suddenly appeared at her locker. She didn't miss the grin on his face as she began to fumble putting her books away.

"What are you doing?" She asked once her heart had returned to its normal rate and she had checked that the halls were vacant.

Hopper shook his head at her panic but glanced up and down the halls nonetheless.

"I've missed you." He pouted playfully, leaning against the locker beside hers. He couldn't help but notice her not making eye contact and simply shuffling her books in their metal storage unit.

"No one is around Joyce, you don't have to pretend that the sun doesn't shine out of my ass when it comes to me and you."

"Shouldn't you be getting ready for practice? Those jeans don't look very comfortable for wrestling." She snipped back, finally closing her locker and clearing out her combination for good measure.

"Coach won't say anything if I'm a little late. He'll just make me do an extra lap...or nine. Besides, I wanted to see you. You've been avoiding me all day."

"And for a good reason, you know the rules Hop..."

Jim stood to his full height, a good six inches taller than Joyce. The top of her head barely came to the hollow of his throat.

"Joyce, do you have any idea how hard it is to pretend that you don't exist? We are in school from seven thirty in the morning until three thirty in the afternoon. That's eight hours. Eight hours that I could be pining over you in the stairwell, but you won't let me."

Joyce frowned at the floor. Did he not know how hard it was for her to constantly push him away? To have to physically pull herself away from him or fight the urge to place her lips on his neck? She loved him so much she sacrificed her own joy just to make sure he was safe and protected.