Arianrhod Part One:

Start from the beginning

Dimitri looked over at Byleth. She wasn't too far from him; she had been riding beside Edelgard for the duration of the time. And not once had he heard a peep from them, they rode in silence.

Was it out of anger? But if so, why would they even ride beside one another, or was it just that they were closer than Dimitri had guessed? Perhaps it was the strength of that secret that kept one another bound to each other.

Dimitri sighed, "Why the long face Your Highness?" Sylvain asked casually.

"Ah, my apologies, I was just simply thinking about Arianrhod" he replied.

Sylvain's eyes narrowed at him, he didn't look convinced, but Sylvain also didn't pry this time.

By the time night fell they were nearby Gaspard territory.

They quickly set up camp, which wasn't hard to do with only eleven people.

"Ah! I'll get the fire started, I'm starving!" Raphael called out.

Dimitri watched the purple haired man shake his head, "Tsk, must you always think of food" Lorenz scolded.

"I'm pretty famished myself" Mercedes butted in an attempt to shut Lorenz up.

And to Dimitri's surprise it had worked to some degree.

It wasn't long before the meager rations that were their dinner were passed around and everyone gathered by the fire.

"I didn't expect Faerghus to be this... Cold" Edelgard had said to no one in particular.

"Oh yeah?" Sylvain said, Dimitri groaned internally. He knew exactly what would follow. "I know something that will keep you warm," Sylvain said with a wink.

Felix smacked the back of Sylvain's head, hard. "You're disgusting," Felix added.

Hubert glared at Sylvain, "I advise you watch your mouth in regard to Lady Edelgard" he hissed.

Sylvain met his gaze, and shrugged "Yeah? You and what army?" he asked.

Dimitri glanced over at Hubert and he was fuming.

Great.

A good way to start out this mission.

Hubert opened his mouth to rebut Sylvain's comment but Edelgard cut him off.

"Don't you dare Hubert," Edelgard said in a warning tone, he shut his mouth, but the scowl remained.

An uneasy silence fell over them, perhaps they should have chosen different allies to accompany them.

"What do you think it will be like inside of Arianrhod?" Byleth questioned the group trying to tear away the tension that had grown.

"Well fortified, although that's a given" Lorenz said.

When was the last time that Dimitri had even stepped foot in there, he was sixteen maybe seventeen and it had been a few years after his Father had passed?

He remembered the first time he had ever stepped foot in that fortress, he had gone with his Father to learn the ropes of things. "As future ruler it is important you know your assets" Lambert had said. Dimitri stared at the massive fortress in awe, there was so much to it and to have such an impressive defense in his possession it left him speechless.

Dimitri looked down at the floor, his Father.

He knew how his ghost felt about Dimitri's failures, but how would his true Father be? Would he understand Dimitri's choices or would he be disappointed as well...