Guinan smiled, moving to rest her elbows on the bar while still cradling her own drink. "Try it. It's pretty strong, but I think you'll like it."

Strong, huh?

I gave her a skeptical look, but did as I was told. Placing the lip on the glass to my lips, I took a small sip it. It was good, but I was nothing if not a showman, so, face contorting in exaggerated contemplation, I tapped my chin a few times, swishing the liquid around for a moment. Then, with a decisive nod, I downed the rest of the drink.

She chuckled, "More?"

"Keep 'em coming." I replied.

Now, this is probably a good time to mention: I didn't actually like alchohol- I didn't even know much about it.
I just enjoyed drinking it.
Which, I know, sounds a little contradictory. Let me explain.

See, when you're drunk, you can mess up. You could say whatever you want and no one bats an eye because that's what you're supposed to do. Which, for me, means filter be damned. No, second guessing, no tight-rope, no nothing.
So, when I got the chance to drink, I did. Of course, usually the only time I actually got to drink was when Guinan was the only one there, but freedom was still freedom. As long as there were drinks in my hand, I had a little room to breathe.

Guinan also tended to oblige my inclanation for large amounts of booze without question, which made things easier.

Tonight was turnig out to be no different- With us making light conversation while I drank, my posture slowly loosening with each glass, my jokes becoming less thought-through, and Guinan growing more amused with each drink that brought me further into my clumsy cloud of giggles and directionless rambling.

Then it took a turn.

"...And I said 'Data,'" I paused to scrunch my eyes and give a look of bewilderment- It added to the story, trust me, "That wasn't her curling iron, man."

There was a beat of silence.

Then, we both bursted into a flutter of laughter that was far too loud to be socially acceptable under any other circumstances. It kept on for a while, and then dissolved into a few snorts and quick breathing.

One that had died down, Guinan spoke, "You know, he talks about you quite a lot actually."

I gave her a leveling look, my eyebrows furrowed, "Who? Data?"

"All the time."

Rolling my eyes, I lazily rested my head onto my hand, "Data doesn't even drink. Why's he in here?"

"He likes to observe the crew to see how alchohol affects behaviour. He usually follows Geordi in when he comes after a shift."

"What, and talks to him about me? I didn't take you to be an eavesdropper, Guinan." I said, holding the word 'eavesdropper' the same way a mocking preschooler would hold the word 'coodies'.

"Geordi, Me- Anyone who will listen, really. He asks a lot of questions about you- Though, I cant say I blame him."

I narrowed my eyes at her. "Whas' that suppose'da mean?" I slurred.

She gave me a level look, "You're not exactly an open book."

My hand moved to my chest in mock defense, "Well, I-" I began, pushing down a hiccup, "Well, I never. I'll have you know, I'm the particle of openness. "

Another roll of the eyes, "Pinnacle." She corrected, flatly.

"Same rodeo. Different bull." I mumbled, throwing back another drink.

Having sensed she'd reached the end of my willingness to participate in that line of conversation, Guinan back-tracked to try a different angle. "Still, it's obvious that he's pretty taken with you."

Something along the lines of a 'ptshphhhptaphhh' left my lips, "Data? Nah. He- We're..." I tilted my head, continuing. "He puts'sup with me, I guess. Thas' it. We're buddies, sorta'."

My eyes gazed around the room and I shrugged nonchalantly. "Anyways, He's an android, Y'know? Makes things all..." I wiggled my hands around sparatically to finish the thought.

I heard her chuckle, but didn't lift my eyes to look at her, opting instead to keep my gaze trained on my glass.

"Not exactly. Data's... A special case, sure. But, not a hopeless one. He feels. He just might not feel in a way we fully understand. Doesn't mean it isn't valid."

"'Course," I murmured, "But not for me. Not like that, anyways... It just... It just wouldn't work out, I guess. Even if he did feel somethin' for me."

I felt her stare as the quiet enveloped the room again. Then she spoke, "Would you want him to?"

Well.I hadn't expected that.

I instinctively went to blurt a sharp 'No', but stopped myself.

Because, well-

I was drinking.

"Maybe." I breathed. My eyes fluttered up to her.

Her eyes held a knowing gleam that held me transfixed there for a moment, still and silent as a statue. I waited for her to say something.

She didn't.

I shook my head a little, throwing back another shot of 'mystery drink'.

Clearing my throat, I tried to divert the conversation, "What'd you say this stuff was again? It's making me feel all- Whooshy." I added in some little arm wiggles when I spoke the last word.

Guinan smirked at me. "Is it now?"

I nodded my head a few more times than necessary, waiting for her to respond.

The woman hummed slightly, before resting her chin onto the cradle of her hands.

"Lemonade."

I froze.

"With, like... What, gin?" I asked, stiffly.

"No." Guinan said. "Just a regular Arnold Palmer."

I just stared at her.

"Now," She began, "Let's talk, Rheid."

Then it hit me.

God...

God damn it.

She knew.

(A.N.):

Star-date.... Uhh... Like two dang years later.

Gonna' be honest with y'all; I forgot that I wrote this. But! I'm really touched to see that so many of you stuck around and read my nonsense? So, in honour of you loyal folks, I've returned with good(?) news! I've uploaded this story to a website I actually check and update! For anyone still interested, 'Permission' is now up on AO3 under my username 'wasnevernew' along with another story it inspired by it, and more literary trashfires to come! That way I can actually get around to updating this if it turns out y'all want more lmao.

Thank you all for the lovely support! I'd love to hear from/interact with y'all on there if you're up for it (and present you with whatever stuff you all like)

:)