6: What Are Those Damn Drama Kids Producing

Three isn't a big a number. For example, three dollars? Good luck at the dollar store.

Three friends? Congratulations, you are the third wheel walking behind your friends on the sidewalk.

Three can also be an intimidating number. Three charges of murder? Good luck in prison.

Three essays due by midnight that you haven't started? Been there, done that, never again.

But let's hope that three is a good and lucky number for Karasuno this year, because that's how many first-year applicants the boys' volleyball team had.

Three.

Coach Ukai stood at the front of the gym with the boys crowding around him on the floor. "Last year, our team made it to nationals," he said. "Now, it doesn't matter how well we did or how far we went. Our third years from last year have graduated and we will have to train ourselves with our new starting lineup."

"We're going again," Hinata raised his fist, a bright gleam in his eyes. "We're going to nationals."

"And we'll win." Beside him, Kageyama also raised his fist confindently.

The doors to the gymnasium opened again and Ukai glanced over, ready for a second chance to introduce the team to their first years. However, it was the vice principal who made his way in.

"Crap," Ennoshita swore, "Sensei."

Everyone stood up and froze. They watched him walk in at a leisurely pace and following behind him was a girl wearing curly antennas.

"The drama club," Emiko whispered in terror.

"What are you talking about?" Ukai snapped. Then, he turned to Kageyama and Hinata whose faces had paled. "Hey, what's wrong with you two?"

"Good evening Sensei," a chorus of voices greeted.

"Yes, hello. Mr. Ukai, it's good to see you again." The coach shook hands with the vice-principal and smiled. "I'm here because there seems to be a bit of a problem."

"There's no problem," Ennoshita stuttered. He looked around, ensuring that everyone was accounted for and in proper uniform. The equipment and volleyballs were set on the ground safely. Except for one.

He grabbed the volleyball from Hinata's hands and smiled.

"Takeda Sensei said the team needs two managers. Hitoka Yachi is already one and the captain signed the form for Mirae Ando to be the second. But yesterday I got Emiko Suzuki's application signed by Karasuno's greatest decoy."

They looked over to Hinata.

"I am the greatest decoy, aren't I?" he stuttered.

"Yes, Hinata but your captain is the one who makes these types of decisions. Fortunately for Ms. Suzuki here, the drama club still needs a Tree number 2. I have taken the initiative to place her in the club. We only need Ms. Suzuki to sign it as well."

"No," Emiko growled. She took a fighting stance. "No."

"Please come to my office prepared to sign your agreement. You will be meeting with them tomorrow at twelve. Good day."

"You'll make an amazing tree, Emiko," Aya waved.

They watched them leave as fast as they entered. Once they were gone, Ennoshita handed Hinata the volleyball and was prepared to begin practice when they heard someone collapse.

"I don't want to be tree number 2," Emiko wailed, rolling on the ground. "Please! They mate on tree number 2. Help me!"

Coach Ukai tried to pick her up but she made her body limp. "Emiko, you're overreacting."