Chapter 2: Paige

Paige watched Bryson’s strong shoulders as he led the way through the trees, eyeing the large compound bow strapped to his back. He also carried a handgun and a wicked looking knife, the same knife he’d threatened her with. She didn’t know what his problem was, but at the moment, she was too busy thanking the heavens that he’d let her join them to dwell on it too much.

While Bryson gave her the cold shoulder, Zach was more than willing to keep her company. She’d known from the second she’d seen them together that they were brothers. They had the same dark hair, a little shaggy, but still neat, only a few shades lighter than her own. And they had the same jawline. But that was where the similarities ended.

Zach’s eyes were a warm brown, reminding her of the Arizona desert where she’d grown up. Bryson’s were bright blue, always alert and calculating, not missing even the most minor of details. Figuring Bryson was far enough ahead not to overhear their conversation, she turned to Zach.

“So, what’s his deal?” Curiosity burned through her as to why he was so distant, not mention his hostility towards her.

Zach turned his eyes on his brother, sadness creeping into his features.

“He was there when our parents died. And our sister was taken from us by the roamers.”

Suddenly, she wished she'd kept her mouth shut. “I’m so sorry. I should't have asked.”

He gave her a shrug. “It’s alright. I don’t mind talking about it. It actually makes feels better to get things off of my chest sometimes.”

She gave him an understanding smile.“Your brother doesn’t seem like he’s easy to talk to.”

He chuckled a bit at that. “That's true. But Bryson’s a good guy, trust me. Once we get to where we’re going, he’ll loosen up. It’s just the constant threat of roamers, you know? He doesn’t want anything bad to happen to us. It’s a lot of pressure.”

Paige knew the feeling. She’d suffered her own personal losses since the sickness hit as well. “So... where exactly are you guys headed?” She matched her pace to his, staying a few steps back so they could talk in privacy.

“Colorado. Our family owns a cabin up in the mountains. Its far enough away from civilization that we don’t think many roamers will make it up there. And we can take care of anyone- living or not- if they stumble across us.”

“Wow, that’s a long way from Oregon.” They still had to cross through Idaho and Utah before they reached their destination, and on foot, who knew how long that would take?

“You don’t say? We’ve been hotwiring cars when we’re able. But we can’t really take the highway because of all the abandoned cars, you know, so we’ve just been walking for now.”

“You guys are crazy.” She laughed, shaking her head.

Bryson stopped then, and if she hadn't been shamefully aware of his every move, she would ran right smack into his back. He turned on them, catching her by surprise.

“We’re crazy for trying to get somewhere safe? Away from all this madness?” He challenged, watching her closely.

She thought carefully about her response, a little taken aback by his behavior. Apparently, he had ears like a hawk, which shouldn't have surprised her.

“Well... I can see why you’re doing what you are. But you have to agree it’s a tad bit crazy walking through four states crawling with roamers, thats what you called them, right? The undead outnumber the living three to one. Its a blood bath out there.”