Chapter 7

“So, tell me how you’d find water if you were out here all by yourself.” Bryson inquired as they trekked through the underbrush, Zach ambling ahead of them.

“Well, I’d probably look at a map.” she retorted, earning an exasperated look from him.

“Okay, pretend you don’t have the map, and you’re in unfamiliar terrain. You don’t have anything with you. And the first key to survival is finding water. How would you do it?”

She mulled this over in her mind, not sure how to respond. “I don’t know, I guess I would just gather rain water or something.”

He shook his head, obviously not the answer he wanted to hear.

“That could work. But what if it doesn’t rain?”

She huffed at him, not liking this game. “I don’t know.”

He slowed down, holding his finger up to his lips to silence her. “Do you hear that?”

She didn’t hear anything but Zach’s footsteps as he came to a halt, obviously wondering what the holdup was. But as she listened closer, more noises came to her attention; she could hear insects chirping, and the wind in the leaves. She heard the rustle of animals somewhere near them.

“I hear animals. And bugs. And… the wind.”

A large smile lit Bryson’s features, brighter than the sun ever could be. “Very good! Just remember, if you’re ever looking for water, listen to the world around you. It’ll tell you more than you think.”

She raised an eyebrow. “Well, I’m listening, and there’s still no water.” She quipped, not really sure what Bryson was getting at here. It was obvious he was trying to prove a point; but what that was, she was having a hard time figuring out.

“Animals are always attracted to the water. Watch which direction the birds fly. Listen to the creatures around you. Look for animal trails, and footprints. The more animals, the closer you are to a water source.”

Huh. She’d never heard that before. Her whole life, she’d lived in the city; she’d been born in Phoenix and then moved to Portland when she was a kid. And sure, Portland had been surrounded by lots of trees, but unlike Bryson, and even Zach, the woods were not a second home to her. They were a foreign land, an anomaly, a very strange place. They were dark and dangerous and a bit scary if she was honest with herself.

“Wow. I never knew that.”

“Well now you do. And if you watch your surroundings, you’ll notice that the foliage is much thicker where there’s water. More vines, and thicker leaves. Lots of trees.”

She glanced around. “There’s lots of trees anyways.”

“You know what I meant.”

“I know. So what you’re saying is, judging by our surroundings, we’re pretty close to some water?”

“Yep. When I was out scouting this morning I found a creek. Now it’s your turn to find some water.”

He earned an incredulous look. “You’re being serious?” A small smile played around the edge of his lips as he nodded, anticipating her reaction.

She knew Bryson didn’t think she could do it. He was testing her. This might be her chance to prove that she did have what it takes to survive out here all by herself. She just had to take his advice to heart and apply it.

“Alright, well we don’t have all day. Let’s find us some water.”

She’d be lying if she didn’t spot the brief look of surprise that flitted across his features, but just as soon as it was there, it was gone, replaced by pure interest, and a smidge of skepticism.