Chapter Two: Someone Please Explain

Feeling the pull much stronger than before, I act. It's only been a few minutes since Alice left, so it shouldn't be too hard to find her. Then again, she also seems to be impossibly fast.

I make my way out of the ally and back towards the main square of the city. I push my way through the red-cloaked townsfolk. Strangely the closer I get the more the pull lessens. I get to the clock tower and smile seeing Alice, Edward, and Bella. I run up to my sister and grip her wrist lightly. She turns to look at me.

"I told you to stay in the car," Alice states exasperated.

I smirk feeling more confident than I have all day. "Not a chance in hell was that going to happen, Pixie."

Someone clears their throat and for the first time, I notice the other two men standing with the group. Alice goes to retort, but the sound of heels clicking distracts her. I look over the two men and see a young woman dressed in all black walking... gliding towards us.

"Enough!" She states glaring at all of us. "Master Aro sent me to see what was taking so long."

The two men I don't know back away letting the young woman through as Edward and Alice take a few steps back from her. Are they afraid of the young girl? Looking closer at the three dressed in all black, I notice they all have bright crimson eyes. I know I should feel frightened by them, but I don't. Unlike being in the Cullen's presence, I feel... safe.

"Jane," Edward says, acknowledging her.

I let go of my sister as she moves closer to Edward. Alice moves closer to me, gripping my wrist in a vice-like grip. I wince and she glares at me.

Hey, it's not my fault we're in this situation. I don't even know what this situation is. I don't know who these other people are and I don't know why we're here. I know it is all connected to Edward somehow, but I don't know the why and I'm too scared to ask, it may be better to not know.

"Who is she?" Bella questions Alice quietly.

"Just do as she says."

Jane tosses Edward a red robe before turning to walk away. "Follow me."

~~~

We follow Jane through several dark alleyways. The two men I didn't get the names of bring up the rear. Alice's grip on my wrist never loosens, it seems to only get tighter. I know it's going to leave bruises.

We stop walking when we reach a dead-end. Jane lifts a grate and drops down into it. Alice briefly lets go of my wrist and jumps down. I stand at the edge of the hole and stare into the darkness below. Are they expecting me to survive jumping down? How far down is the bottom?

Edward nods, telling me it's my turn. "It's all right. Alice will catch you."

Ya because that is reassuring. Knowing my luck she would purposely let me fall. I take a deep breaths, steeling my nerves, then jump. I'm airborne and then sink like a stone only for a few seconds before I feel like I land on a brick wall as Alice catches me.

She sets me down on the ground before once more taking my wrist in her tight grip. I wince and Jane looks at me with a look of... is it pity?

Does she understand that I have no idea what's going on? That I don't trust Alice and Edward? That I'm scared? I go to ask her these questions, but Edward and Bella interrupt, then we're moving again.

Jane opens a gate on an old freight elevator and we all pile in. Jane gently grabs my arm, separating me from the Cullen's and my sister. She puts me in between herself and one of the men.