Prologue

I rolled in my bed over and over again. I just can’t help but feel restless since yesterday when my mother told me about him.

I can’t believe that I did that to him. What was I even thinking? I know that I shouldn’t blame myself for saying those words but I can’t help it. Now, he is out there, suffering, and I can’t help but feel guilty. I have the urge to know what really happened.

“Please don’t touch her. She knows what she is saying”. The words kept replaying in my head. What did he mean by that? I can’t help but feel that there is a story behind that statement.

I vaguely remember what happened but my mom told me it happened. I was just four years old. How could I remember? Yet, I want to try to. I can’t help but feel connected to him. Who is he anyway and why is he out there in the streets? I doubt if he even remembered me.

I am going to meet him. My conscience won’t let me live if I don’t talk to him, or maybe it is my curiosity.

I got out of bed and headed straight to the bathroom. My room was designed to suit my taste. It was painted white with touch of pink, the same goes for my wardrobe and bed sheet. I have a small pink carpet in the middle of room which compliments my room and I also have a reading table and chair where I write my stories sometimes. I am a writer and I have written a few books already.

I also have a ladies’ vanity mirror set which includes a wardrobe table and chair with my full make up kits. I love to look good always.

I stepped into my bathroom that is also really and well-furnished. I took my toothbrush and put the paste on it and proceeded to brushing my teeth, which is the first thing I always do.
I am Clarissa Banks, the last daughter of The Banks. I am nineteen years old and a student at the Brown University, Osun State, Nigeria. My father is a business consultant and investor. He has his own consultancy company and invests in large businesses.

My mother is a publisher, she owns her own Publishing company that I helped her name, Nikky Publishers. My father adopted our family name “Banks” for a reason that I do not understand, but I must confess that I really love the name. It complements my first name well.

I finished brushing my teeth and rinsed my mouth as I headed into the shower to take my bath.

**********************************
I set out driving on the usual busy road. My goal was to find that man that has occupied my thoughts since the day before. My mother already told me the street she usually sees him in but on getting there, he was nowhere to be found. I was not going to give up.

I kept on driving around the city, hoping to catch a glimpse of him but he isn’t anywhere. Why would he take today, of all days, to take a break? My conscience was really hitting me hard but I could not find him anywhere.
It has been an hour and I was still driving aimlessly around the city, driving through the slums where the beggars were known to stay at. “Oh Lord! Please help me find him.” I said a little prayer to God.
Suddenly, I remembered a particular place where most beggars are seen. He could be there. I quickly made a turn and drove towards the place.

The place was a mess. Everywhere was so dirty and unhealthy. How do these people manage this place? I can’t help but wonder why we have a government in the first place.
I mean, the government is supposed to be for the good of the people and not just the elites only. This place should be developed. I wish I were the Governor of this State. These people would never have to suffer, at least not like this.

The place is even no good for cars so I parked my Ford in the safest place possible and alighted from it. I only hoped that I don’t fall or break my neck or even get sick.

It’s pretty obvious that I don’t belong here as I walked along the streets. Kids began rushing to me to ask for money but I already left my purse in my locked car. I really pitied them living like this. This isn’t fair at all, and for once in my life, I had to appreciate what I have.