ᵀʰᵉ ᴴᵒᵍʷᵃʳᵗˢ ᴱˣᵖʳᵉˢˢ | ᴬʳᵗᵉᵐⁱˢ

Don't you worry, don't you worry child, see heaven's got a plan for you.

Don't You Worry Child - Madeline Bailey

✧★✧

1st September 1971

"You're an Oakley. Your sister is graduating in two years, and then you'll be expected to keep up the reputation yourself. Don't disappoint us Artemis. Don't be that child who lets everything we've worked for crumble...Now go, make us proud."

A couple of years ago, those words would have bothered Artemis. Hurt her, even. But now? Well, Artemis Oakley had nothing to fear.

When she cried, she cried on the inside. Her emotions never got the better of her, and everything she did, was done with confidence and calculation.

Even at the young age of eleven, she had that air of superiority around her as she walked onto the one and only platform nine and three quarters that made her seem untouchable. Dangerous.

It had taken her less than a handful of smooth sentences to reassure her mother that she would, indeed, make her proud, and then she had grabbed her trunk in one hand and dragged it on the red steam engine that would lead her to her freedom. Her relief.

Pros of the situation...freedom...education...no more isolation...

Cons of the situation...cons...cons...cons...well there was one. Too much...enthusiasm.

Artemis shuddered at the thought, cringing at the mere idea of a stereotypical Hufflepuff. She would not be mixing with that crowd.

But still, the pro's overweighed the cons, even if just slightly.

Artemis sighed, and tucked a few locks of her rose red hair behind her ears, and glanced out of the window at the platform, her eyes resting on a group of girls, perhaps a few years older than her, talking and laughing as the made their way towards the train.

Friends.

The one thing she hadn't anticipated, or even considered. Making acquaintances and connections - all fine. But friends?

Just the sheer number of people in the crowds surrounding the muggle station, and the magical train had shocked her. Artemis had read all about Hogwarts, and other schools, and how they were meant to be full of happy children, adventures, and memories.

But as she grew older, the perfect image she had pieced together had started cracking at the corners. She thought of blood status, houses, abilities, rights. All the discrimination.

The expectations and all the do's and don't's - all the little slips that could cost her everything.

Just when she was about to overthink things again, the door of her compartment slid open. She was shocked to say the least, when a dark haired girl walked inside, sitting rather confidently opposite her.

"Hey," the girl said, making eye contact with Artemis. "I'm Harley Foster."

No 'is it alright if I sit here?' or 'everywhere else is full,'. Just a simple introduction.

And Artemis Oakley, proud Artemis Oakley, who would never miss a chance to retort in a situation like this, felt her mind go blank, as all she could focus on, was the peculiarity of the scene.

Her emerald green eyes snapped upwards meeting Foster's own, as both of them were locked in a staring contest, each silently daring the other to look away.