XIX. DOBBY THE HOUSE-ELF

Start from the beginning

"Who would want to be friends with you two?" Dudley scoffed, bumping shoulders with Annabelle and Harry harshly as he passed.

"I should think you'd be a little more grateful. We've raised the two you since you were babies, given you the food off our table, even let you share Dudley's second bedroom, purely out of the goodness of our hearts." Their Uncle listed off and the pair fought to suppress their eye rolls, as Dudley reached out to touch the cake Petunia had made, causing her to slap his hand away.

"Not now, bumpkins. It's for when the Masons arrive." She told him.

Vernon clasped his hands together, "Which should be any minute," He exclaimed, motioning for his family to come into the living room, "Now, let's go over our schedule once again, shall we? Petunia, when the Masons arrive, you will be...?"

"In the lounge, waiting to welcome them graciously to our home." The tall woman said, along with a demonstration.

"Good," Vernon nodded, "And, Dudley, you will be...?"

"I'll be waiting to open the door." The boy answered, he too giving an example.

"Excellent," The family of three of them turned to Harry and Annabelle with scornful looks, "And you two...?"

"I'll be in my bedroom, making no noise and pretending that I don't exist." Harry replied.

"And I'll be there, too." Annabelle muttered, raising her hand.

"Too right you will," Vernon said with a nod, "With any luck, this could well be the day I make the biggest deal of my career, and you two will not mess it up." He told them, before sending the pair upstairs, just as the Masons arrived.

"Honestly, they're vile." Annabelle muttered ti Harry, the two stopping on the landing.

"All the more reason to be excited to go back to Hogwarts and see our friends." Harry said, nodding in agreement.

"If we have any friends," The younger sibling told him, "Not one letter. Not one single letter from anyone. Merlin, this time last year that was Uncle Vernon's dream!" She quietly exclaimed, making Harry laugh as he opened the door to their bedroom, the freezing at the sight in front of them.

The pair watched as a small creature jumped gleefully bouncing on their bed, stopping as it noticed the astounded siblings standing in the doorway.

"Harry and Annabelle Potter!" The unidentified creature marvelled, "Such an honor it is!" It cried.

Harry closed the door as Annabelle leaned into Harry, "Harry, I think that's a house-elf." She whispered, making Harry look at her, and then at the large eared creature in front of them.

"Who are you?" He asked, cautiously.

"Dobby sir," The elf grinned, "Dobby the house-elf." He clarified, making Annabelle grin, realising that she was correct, before licking her lips and picking up Nutmeg, placing her on the cat bed, on the floor beside their dresser.

"Not to be to be rude or anything, but this isn't a great time for me to have a house-elf in our bedroom." Harry told Dobby.

"Oh, oh, yes, sir! Dobby understands!" Dobby exclaimed, as Annabelle sat down on the bed, playing with the tasseled ends of her Gryffindor scarf, "It's just that, Dobby has come to tell you- it is difficult, sir- Dobby wonders where to begin?" The elf attempted to explain.