Chapter Forty-Three

Start from the beginning

I heard the patio door slid open and someone sat down next to me. I turned, expecting to see Dylan, but it wasn’t. It was Jayme.

“What are you doing here?” I asked, going to stand up. Jayme put a hand on my shoulder and pulled me back down.

“Alec, wait. I just want to talk.”

“And if I don’t want to talk?”

He shrugged and took out a cigarette, lighting it. “Well,” he said, blowing out smoke, “at least hear me out.”

He looked the same as he did that day at the school; dark, wavy hair, slight stubble and pale skinned. He hadn’t bothered with a costume and was just in a dark hoodie and jeans.

“Fine, I’m listening.”

Jayme nodded before continuing. “I’m assuming Dylan had told you quite a bit about me, probably nothing good. I obviously don’t know what he’s like now, but I wanted you to know that there was a valid reason for me breaking up with him.”

I could tell he was waiting for me to say something, to ask what his reason was, but I told him I would hear him out and that’s it. Once he realised I wasn’t going to say anything he laughed.

“Well, you’re stubborn. Anyway, just... Dylan was a different guy. He had a lot of problems, and I guess I just couldn’t deal with them in the end.”

“So you just left him,” I said, turning away from him.

“Yeah, I did. And I shouldn’t have, I’ll always regret that. But I came back because I wanted to see how he was doing, and although he me seem great...”

“Just spit it out Jayme.”

“I don’t think it’s possible for someone to change as much as he has, that’s all.”

Jayme took one last drag of his cigarette before getting up.

“I’ll see you around, Alec.”

“Hopefully not,” I muttered as I watched him make his way round the side of the house and back onto the street.

Jayme said that he doesn’t think someone can change as much as Dylan apparently has, not didn’t. What the fuck is that supposed to mean?

~

I went back inside fully intending to tell Dylan that Jayme had been here and that I had spoken to him, but I stopped in my tracks when I say what was going on.

“Is this a good idea?” I asked Mitch as I went and stood beside him.

“Fuck knows, but it’s hilarious. DYLAN ARE YOU SERIOUSLY GOING TO LET MY GIRLFRIEND WIN?”

Dylan was playing Sally. At beer-pong. And she was winning.

“MITCH, SHUT THE FUCK UP. IT’S NOT MY FAULT YOUR GIRLFRIEND CAN DOWN BEER LIKE A MAN!” replied Dylan, picking up and downing a cup as Sally successfully got the ball in the cup.

“LEWIS QUIT WHINING AND THROW THE BALL!” yelled Sally over the music.

Dylan had four cups left, while Sally still had seven.

“How many did they start with?” I asked, watching as Dylan’s ball hit the edge of one of Sally’s cups but didn’t go in.

“Fifteen.”

“FIFTEEN?”

No bloody wonder Dylan couldn’t get his aim right.

We watched the end of the match, Sally beating Dylan with four cups left. As Dylan downed his last cup I walked over and slung his arm over my shoulder, walking him over to the wall where Mitch was congratulating Sally.