Chapter Thirty-Three

The next day I finished up the rest of my school work and decided to go get some fast food with look at night for dinner. I borrowed the car and drove us to McDonalds were we ordered food and sat at one of the booths near the window.

“So,” started Luke, “you and Dylan?”

How did I know this was going to come up? Last night I just walked out and did homework, and Luke didn’t mention it in the car. Of course he hadn’t forgotten about it though.

I took a bite of my burger and waited until I had finished chewing until I answered. “Yeah, me and Dylan.”

Luke nodded slowly and continued eating his chips. I waited a good five minutes for him to say something, but he just kept eating his chips.

“Is that all you’re going to say?”

He just shrugged. “I don’t know. I never thought you would be gay to be honest. Does it bother me? I don’t know. All I know is I’m happy you’re not with Kelly anymore, she was a two faced bitch. You never really dated any nice girls, and Dylan seems nice. So, if you want to date Dylan, then I’m not going to say anything against it.”

I didn’t know what to say. “Thanks. That means a lot.”

He nodded and smiled. “I don’t think mum will be too bothered either, especially now. But dad probably won’t be happy, you know what he’s like, all about image and all that shit. Not to mention you basically have an arranged marriage with Molly again not that they think you are single.”

I groaned. He was right. Dad was all about image and would probably try and disown me or some shit. We weren’t close, so I didn’t really give a fuck what he thinks, but I’m not really in the mood for the argument sine things were going so well with me and Dylan.

“Did you tell Sam and that?”

“Yeah, he knew before I told him though. They’re all being really great about it. Although, I can tell that Cam is probably making up a whole list of gay jokes as we speak.”

Luke laughed. “I wouldn’t put it past him.”

“How’s things going with you?” I asked. Luke wasn’t so keen on the sharing part. He kind of kept to himself and didn’t like others prying into his life. It’s just the way he is.

“Things are doing okay. School’s fine.”

“How’s Nathan?” Nathan was Luke’s best friend. It was kind of just the two of them against the world. They didn’t need a huge group of friends, but they weren’t loners or anything.

“He’s good. He’s been working on some really cool art stuff.”

“Yeah? How’s your art stuff?” Luke and Nathan met in their first year art class and have been friends ever since.

“It’s going okay, I’m working on some graphic novel stuff just now that’s nearly finished. How’s football?”

“We’ve got one game left of the season, but we’ve already won the league.”

“That’s good.”

After we finished eating we went into town and I bought Luke some more art supplies and I got a few more jumpers for school.

I pulled into the drive next to dad’s work car and Luke and I made our way inside and froze in the hall. I signalled to Luke to be quiet and slowly made our way up the stairs.

I could hear mum and dad shouting at each other from inside their bedroom.

“DO YOU THINK I’M AN ABSOLUTE IDIOT?”

“KAREN JUST CALM DOWN AND LISTEN TO ME!”

“I AM DONE LISTENING TO YOUR SHIT, I WANT YOU TO GET OUT!”

“FOR GOD SAKE KAREN, YOU CAN’T BE SERIOUS?”

“I BLOODY AM! YOU PROMISED ME AFTER I GAVE YOU ANOTHER CHANCE AND THEN YOU GO AND DO IT AGAIN! WHO IS SHE?”

“I’M NOT HAVING THIS CONVERSATION WITH YOU WHILE YOU’RE ANGRY”

“WELL GOOD LUCK FINDING A TIME WHEN I’M HAPPY ABOUT IT!”

I reached the top of the stairs when my dad came storming out of the bedroom. He stopped when he saw us both but then just shook his head and walked past us and out of the door. I looked at Luke and he gave me a ‘what the fuck?’ look before I went and knocked on my parents bedroom door.

“Mum?”

She was sat on the bed with her head in her hands, but looked up when I knocked. She was crying. I went and sat next to her and pulled her into a hug.

“You’ve got to tell us what’s going on,” I said as Luke leaned against the bedroom door.

She looked at me, then at Luke, before taking a deep breath and wiping her eyes. I took my arm from around her shoulder and instead took her hand and squeezed it. She gave me a small smile before speaking.

“During the summer... I found out your father was cheating on me. Well, he didn’t own up to it exactly, but he admitted that he hadn’t been entirely faithful. So we talked it through and worked things out, and we decided that we would put it in the past and try to move forward with our lives.”

Son of bitch. I knew that something had happened during summer but mum had reassured me that things were fine and to not worry about it. So I hadn’t. I’d went out with my friends, I’d started seeing Kelly, and I spent the time partying and getting drunk.

“What’s that got to do with things now?” asked Luke. I knew what she was away to say before she even said it.

“Well, this past month and a bit your father has been swamped with work, staying their late and working longer hours... and, well, I think he’s doing it again.”

I put my other hand over my mum’s and tried to stay calm. It you didn’t already know it, my dad’s an asshole. Probably cares more about work and his so called image than he does about his actual family. The guy needed a punch in the face, that’s for sure.

“Is that what you were fighting about?” asked Luke. My mum nodded.

“He was trying to deny it but he left his work phone in the kitchen one morning and I saw a text and...”

“It’s okay,” I said, pulling her into a hug. She hugged me back before standing up.

“Well, I’ll deal with this later when your father comes home; he’s probably away to your grandfather’s right now. Right, school tomorrow. Early bedtime.”

Luke groaned and she gave him a kiss on the head before shooing him out of the room. She turned and looked at me once we heard his bedroom door shut.

“Alec, I want you to stay away from your father. Don’t say anything to him about this, okay? I don’t need you two getting in a fight.”

“But the dick deserves-“

“Alec, watch your language, and I don’t want to hear it. You can go to bed now too.”

I sighed and went to room, leaving my mum to do whatever it is she was going to do and I gave Dylan a text.

So my mum thinks my dad is cheating on her, apparently he’s done it before x

Okay, so maybe that’s not the best way to tell your boyfriend that shit’s away to hit the fan, but oh well.

Shit man. You okay? X

Yeah, I’ll talk to you tomorrow? X

Sure. You still catching a ride with Sam? x

Yeah x

Okay, see you tomorrow babe ;) x

How does he always manage to put a smile on my face?