Part 24

The smell of sauce whipped through the kitchen while you hummed away, draining the water from the cooked pasta.

"Hey Kate." you turned to see Raven munching on some toasted bread.

"Raven!" you said, trying not to show the symptoms of the mini heart attack she'd just given. "T-that was, quite an entrance."

She wolfed down the crust. "I was too quiet was I? I used to have fun watching Charles's parent's hair stand on end. But they're not here for me to tease anymore. At least everyone here's a 'Raven-surprise' virgin." she took a peek at the sauce. "Mmm, looks good! What have you got in it?"

You smiled proudly. "Cheese, milk, mushroom, wine, flour-"

Her hand was thrust up. "Alright, rhetorical question kind-of cause it's not any useful information for me, a simple gal who hates cooking."

You smiled and looked back at the cookbook before putting in the final touch of oregano.

"You know I prefer you when you're looking like you." you said dusting off the last flecks. Her face deadpanned as she searched your face to see if you were joking. "Really, I think your beautiful when your blue."

She sighed and blue scales cascaded over her as her true appearance showed. "Better?" she asked.

"Yup, though the blue shirt's a bit much." Her shirt changed to a bright orange/red the same color as her hair. You nodded. It looked a lot better.

"You didn't come in here for the food Raven," you said. "There's something you want to talk about with me."

She looked slightly surprised and then letting out a breath, leaned against the counter.

"It's about Charles."

You sighed. "Did I do something wrong?"

"No but that's the point. You're so good for him and once all this," she said waving her hands around, "is done, what's going to happen?"

You realized what she was saying. "You're scared I'm going to leave him."

"Are you going to leave, are you going to stay, and even then we're not entirely sure if we're going to make it out of this mess alive." she said shakily.

You switched off the stove top and wiped your hands on the apron you were wearing (yes, an apron). Taking her hands in yours you smiled at her warmly.

"It's going to be alright. And as for Charles, I won't leave him. I'm happy here with him, with you and everyone else. We're going to make it back together and the first meal we have is going to be your choice."

She grinned back at you, squeezing your hands slightly. "He's changed but in a good way. More cheerful and laughs are more often. And when he's with you it's like he's in some other  dimension of bliss. And I hope it's the same for you."

You let go of her hands and pulled her into a hug.

"It is." And it was true.

She hugged back tightly. "Please, just promise you won't break his heart."

"I can't promise that." She pulled back slightly. "Raven, no one can promise something that big. But I can promise that I will do everything I can to never let that happen."

She rested her head on your shoulder. "Thank you." she murmured. You stroked her flaming red hair comfortingly.

"What's going on?" Charles stood in the doorway looking slightly perplexed.

"Just girl talk." Raven said. You frowned noticing she'd already morphed back into her blonde identity. "I'm going to go set the table." she said grabbing a bunch of utensils. She gave you a wink and went out.

Pulling out plates you began to dish up the food. One plate nearly met its maker when you almost dropped it with a yelp as warm, strong arms snaked around your waist.

"Charlie, why don't you go help your sister? Hmm?"

He put his chin on your shoulder and adjusted his arms more comfortably.

"No thank you, I'm quite happy right where I am." You bit your lip trying and failing at not smiling, you could practically hear the smirk in his voice.
"If you don't go make yourself useful," you said once you'd composed yourself"  I'm going to make sure you stay up all night."

He leaned over in front onto the counter, his eyebrows wiggling all over the place.

"Stay up all night like the good type or the bad type?" he said grinning.

"Bad type. And take these to the table." you smirked.

He groaned and pouted when you put the plates in his hands but it dissolved when you gave him numerous pecks on the lips. He went off strutting like a proud peacock showing off it's feathers.

You shook your head and went back to dishing up the final plates when you saw a thin, pale, freckled hand reach for the bread basket. You slapped it and heard a squeak.

"We're about to have dinner young man." You crossed your arms turning around to Sean.

The redhead clutched his hand giving you puppy eyes.

"Oh that's not gonna work on me." you gave him the basket. "Go set this on the table and don't have it yet. Wait to we're all sitting down."

He rolled his eyes. "Yes mom." he said and put a piece in his mouth and left the room before you could boot his backside.

Shaking your head you took the plates to the table. Raven and Moira were chatting and finishing the final touches on the table.

Sean was already in his seat trying to look a picture of innocence and failing due to the fact there were crumbs in his shirt.

Erik and Charles were sitting in their places at the ends of the table, probably having a conversation seeing from the look on their faces.

You put the dish in front of Charles and kissed him on the temple, gaining retching noises from Sean-which you both ignored.

"I'll go get the other two." Moira said.

You held up a hand. "No, I can. It'll be faster and Hank probably wouldn't come if you went. No offense." She shrugged and went back to talking with Raven.

You teleported to Alex first and found him doing press ups in his room and told him dinner was ready before going off to get your favorite nerd.

Hank was in the makeshift lab which was furthest away from the dining room and against his protests of not being hungry you teleported him back with you.

You forced him into his chair and when he opened his mouth to protest you put hands on hips. "Henry." you warned making him gulp.

Alex laughed. "Look at that. We have Charles for a Papa Bear and now we get a Mama Bear too."

You ignored the comment and sat down and everyone had dinner.

After dinner Raven brought out some board games and everyone was huddled around the table while Charles and Erik sat separately playing a game of chess.

Sitting on the sofa, you watched them. You smiled at Raven's squeals, Alex's guffaws, Moira's quiet words, Hank's antisocial groans and Sean's roaring accusations of someone cheating.

Maybe being a Mama Bear wasn't so bad after all.

==========

Date - Sunday 4th, October, 2020
Word count - 1,209

So here's the thing. I actually wrote and finished this after two to three weeks of writers block and was so proud of it. Till I open up one night to write I find that a little more than a half of the of the bottom half is gone.

Poof! Disappeared! Like a genie after you've made your three wishes except you want them back because you were drunk when you made them and you have no fucking idea what you wished for.

Sadly, I have no genie, so I had to write it all again. 😑

Please vote.

C.Riverbend.