Chapter Six - A Family Dinner

I was standing in front of my huge closet that was in my bedroom. I had a frown on my face when I saw all the bright-looking dresses. I went further into this closet hoping I could at least find something that was dark. I was going to give up hope and grab a random dress from the closet when I saw something that stuck out from the colorful dresses.

Getting the dark clothing from the line of clothes I held it in front of me. It was a black dress with white lines near the end of the dress. I felt satisfied with what I was holding and took it out of the closet with me so I could wear it for dinner.

After I was done picking out my outfit I decided to go back to the black book that my teacher gave me and try to see if I could teach myself a spell. I held the book in my hand for a few seconds before finally opening it. I could feel a small smile on my face when the book opened easily.

When I looked inside the book I saw that there was one spell on the first page of the book. I could feel a frown replace the smile on my face. I couldn't understand why the spell Shadow was the first thing I had to learn. What does it even do?

Trying not to get irritated I got ready to use the spell. I think for me to cast a spell I have to speak in the magic language. I don't think I know what it is but I have a feeling it would be something that just happens.

"Umbra. (Shadow.)" As soon as I went to do the spell I said something in another language and the whole room I was in was covered in darkness. Even though it was dark I could see clearly inside of the room like nothing was wrong with it.

When I went to move in the darkroom I felt my feet start to sink into the darkness. I was panicking and tried to cancel the spell but I was too slow. I fell into the darkness and felt a small pain in my bottom as I fell onto the ground.

I held my book tightly as I looked around in the place I was currently in. I was surprised to see I was outside the kitchen door. I slowly got up and walked from the dark area I was in. I could feel myself get a bit excited when I realized what I could do with this first spell of mine.

It seems like I can cause an area to become covered in darkness and to travel to the said darkness to somewhere else. I wonder if I could control where I could go with this spell. This was something I would have to practice more.

After standing outside of the kitchen door for a while I headed back to my room and went to practice using the spell Shadow more. Even though I kept on ending up in different places in my house I didn't want to stop practicing this spell. It could be helpful in the future if I needed to escape from something or someone.

After a few hours of me practicing my spell and going to my library to read books on different things about this world and magic, it was finally time for the family dinner. I had a blank face as I was dressed by two of my servants. They even put my long curly hair into a braid that was turned into a hair bun.

Mae finished the outfit by giving me a ribbon that had a spot where I could put my magic stone in. I looked in the mirror that showed an expressionless Aurelia. Mae was behind me with a tense smile on her face and I calmed her down with a pat on her hand.

"I am ready to go now." I stood up straight and spoke indifferently. Mae gave me a stiff nod and led me to the dining room where "father" and "brother" were waiting for me. I could smell food coming from the dining hall but it didn't smell like anything to me.

When I finally arrived in the dining hall I could see that both my "father" and "brother" were sitting waiting for me with an expressionless face. The air was tense as I made eye contact with my "father".

"Good evening father. I hope you didn't wait too long." I gave my "father" a polite bow in greeting and walked to my seat at the table. My seat was pulled out by Mae and when I sat in it she pushed me back in. She then went to stand by the wall and became like a statue.