3. Violated

Ryan's mother, June, was standing near her car, talking to someone on the phone

Ryan's mother, June, was standing near her car, talking to someone on the phone. Her hair were bound in a sleek ponytail and she was wearing a crisp black suit. Shailene found her strikingly beautiful. She looked as if aging was not her companion.

When June spotted them, she ended the call and waved at them. They waved back. In a few more strides, they had narrowed the gap.

"Hi. I'm June Willoughby, Ryan's mother," she greeted.

"Hello. I'm Shailene."

When they were done with the greeting process, they tucked ourselves inside June's car. Neither Shailene nor Ryan called shotgun and sat together at the backseat.
Shailene explained her address to Ryan's mother and she started driving.

Streets, trees and cars rolled by but Ryan's eyes stayed glued to his phone. Shailene had nothing to do, so she watched the busy streets through the window.

After a long drive, they reached the destination- Shailene's home.

"Thank you, Mrs. Willoughby."

"Please, June's fine. And I'm glad I was of any help," she confessed with a smile.

"Please, come inside."

"Sorry, dear. It's getting late, so we should better be going."

"Please, I insist. Mom and Dad would definitely want to meet you."

"Oh, alright. But we won't stay long."

"Yeah, sure. Let's go."

They disembarked the car and with them in tow, Shailene knocked on the door. A click was heard before a sliver of light came in view. Then her dad emerged out. His eyes were swollen and red.

He must be crying. My goodness. Poor dad.

"Shailene," he gasped and took her in an embrace. He was so full of love that he squeezed her like she was a plastic bottle. Before her bones could break, she interrupted the warmth of his love.

"Let go, dad. I'm choking."

At her statement, Ryan snickered. When Shailene's dad let go of her, she turned to have a glance at Ryan. But he stood with no expressions as if he was a blank sheet of paper.

Shailene returned her gaze back to her dad. "Dad, this is Mrs. Wil-June, June Willoughby and his son, Ryan. They helped me drop here," she said whilst gesturing towards them.

"Hello," they greeted in unison.

Dad asked them to come inside. He made them sit on the couch in the living room as Shailene inhaled the familiar scent of comfort. The scent that screamed-she was home.

"Shay, go call your mom. She's in your room." Her dad interrupted her meet and greet. She looked at him and nodded.

What's mom doing in my room? She thought as she scurried towards her room.