the merry-faced thief

Start from the beginning

Everyone was talking around her, not to her, just around her. She saw Alakay eating, sitting straight and cutting his food stealthily with his knife. Lucius Malfoy didn't eat much, he was more engrossed in telling Avery new ways to set the Potions classroom on fire. Out of the corner of her eyes, she saw Bloody Baron, a faint faced ghost with silvery bloodstains on his robes, floating towards them.

"Welcome," he spoke in a drawling voice. "I hope you all bring the House Cup to Slytherin this year again?"

It wasn't a question. It was a demand. A few Slytherins raised their fists into the air and chortled. Bloody Baron smiled faintly. "We have been winning the house Cup for twelve years in a row now," he said to the first years. "Not that it affects me in anyway, I've been dead for five centuries now, but," he said, floating above them. "It's really great to see the Slytherin banners all over Hogwarts. Really brings out the colors of Castle!"

He seeped through the window, out into the world,and met another silvery ghost.

"He's right, you know?" Andromeda said to her from across the table. "It's great to win of course, but it does bring out the castle."

"And what about the classes?" asked Alakay. "Heard they'll be starting them very soon?"

"Yeah," Nott said. "Probably transfiguration. Matchsticks to needles, that sort of child's play."

"I was looking forward to Charms actually," Alakay played with the sausage on his plate. "Making things fly and that sort of stuff."

Meredith almost laughed. She didn't need classes or a wand to make things fly. But then her mother gaunt, dark face came before her— do not use the magic! She looked away, and her eyes found the black haired boy across her. He looked sad, and just like her, he kept looking at the Gryffindor table, over at the redhaired girl called Lily.

"Hey," Meredith spoke for the first time. "What's your name?"

The boy blinked up in surprise after realizing a question was directed to him. "Me?"

"Yes," Meredith scoffed. "You, of course. What's your name?"

"Severus," he muttered quietly. "Severus Snape."

"Nice to meet you, Severus Snape," Meredith flashed her winning smile. "I'm Meredith Potter."

The boy feebly smiled. Meredith got this strange feeling that maybe he was afraid that people won't like him, or she would not like him. Meredith's ignored that feeling because she already liked him. She needed to figure out a way to explain to James. . . And her family. But how could she explain it? Slytherin? What could she possibly say to defend herself?

At last, the desserts too disappeared, and Professor Dumbledore got to his feet again. The hall fell silent. "Ahem— just a few more words now that we are all fed and watered. I have a few start-of-term notices to give you" he spoke in a serene voice. "First years should note that the forest on the grounds is forbidden to all pupils. And a few of our older students would do well to remember that as well." Dumbledore’s twinkling eyes flashed in the direction of Andromeda and Lucius. "I have also been asked by Mr. Filch, the caretaker, to remind you all that no magic should be  used between classes in the corridors. Quidditch trials will be held in the second week of the term. Anyone interested in playing for their House teams should contact Madam Hooch. And finally, Duelling Club would be open to all students, irrespective of age, who wish to practice spells, from the beginning of January next year. Not before that!"