I can't

As you got ready for bed, you toyed with the medication bottle you were prescribed after the incident. The bottles neatly lined up. You didnt particularly care for painkillers unless absolutely necessary. But the particular bottle in your hand was for sleep, which no longer came easy.

Steve kept telling you it would take time. But even after eight months you still wake up screaming most night, phantom throbs in all your scars, terrified and alone.

You pop the pill in your mouth.

Just for tonight
************************************
The next morning you were up and on time, however it wasn't Bucky waiting for you, it was Steve.

"Morning gorgeous," he said with a wink. "Bucky had to take care of some things, but lucky me now I get you all to myself," he teased.

You shake your head at his flirtation. "We'll see how lucky you are Stevie when I kick your ass," you reply, making him laugh.

Over the next couple of days it seemed that Bucky was avoiding you. Everytime you walked in a room you noticed he found a reason to walk out. He didn't make eye contact or initiate conversation, not even a hello.

Fine Barnes, be that way.

On Friday, you were in the gym before 5 and already working out when Bucky arrived. Surprised to see him, he smiled, "See you're finally ready to follow orders now," he joked, setting his bag down.

"Like I said, don't get used to it Barnes," you retort. You warmed up just as you had with him previously and again he worked your entire body, pushing and pulling it to its limits.

"Five minute rest then we're at the mats. We're going to have a little fun today," he said slyly.

Curiosity was killing you as you watched him walk toward the weapons cabinet

Curiosity was killing you as you watched him walk toward the weapons cabinet. As he approached the mat your breath caught, at the knife in his hand.

Immediately your mind raced to being strung from the ceiling, a cold blade pressed against your throat, and the icy burn of being sliced open.

The look on your face gave you away, Bucky said, "Control it."

You just looked up at him. "You can do this (y/n). You can control the fear." You shook your head at him, silently giving him the go ahead. You couldn't back down, this is what you came to do. What you had to over come.

Bucky started slow, which you were thankful for. As the time passed, the memories regressed and you choose to only focus on Bucky and this moment. Breathing in deep, dodging shots and mimicking his movements.