10K Special: Moonlight Dance by the Ocean [Part 7/7]

Start from the beginning

She didn't understand the aching that pierced through her heart as that realization flooded over her.

Hak looked down, brow furrowing as he sensed the change in the atmosphere. But neither of them caved as the silence grew awkward. Instead, they just let the waves crashing upon the shore consume their sense as the talking by the campfire died down.

Calista glanced over Shin-ah's shoulder, hopping up and down in excitement when she saw the two of them snuggling. Jae-ha followed her gaze and shook his head, smiling to himself. Yoon didn't pay them any mind as he got ready to sleep, but she caught him holding back a smile.

Kija wailed as a rogue bug landed on his arm, waving it wildly in a futile attempt to get it off. Jae-ha couldn't get close enough to him with him swinging his dragon arm like that.

Zeno cheered as his parrot flew over to pluck it off of him, and the white dragon turned green as the exotic bird ate it without a second thought.

Luna barked, wiggling her way over to the bubbly yellow dragon, Speckles waddling not far behind her. The two rogue animals caused mischief for the other dragons, the former only calming down when Shin-ah asked her to politely get off of a hysterical Kija's head.

The fire had been put out for hours, and Calista rolled onto her back for the seventh time, head resting comfortably on top of her arms. The corner of her lips curved up as the moon shone brightly back at her.

The others were fast asleep.

The galaxy was so much clearer out here, then back there, and before she knew what she was doing, she got to her feet and headed towards the ocean.

It called to her, and she twisted to look back to make sure they were all asleep.

She inhaled deeply, and the salty air filled her lungs. Sighing out blissfully, she closed her eyes as she dipped her toes in the water, body beginning to sway in time with the melody inside her head.

Water swirled around her feet as she spun around, raising her arms above her head in an arc. The smile on her face grew wider, and she bit her lip in an unnecessary effort to contain it. She leaped, twirled, and fingers brushed the back of her ankles as she flew through the night. Her feet danced along the banks, until they collided with another.

Eyes shot open, an apology on the tip of her tongue when a gentle finger was placed on her lips.

Her shoulders relaxed and the white fur of Shin-ah's fluff tickled her nose as he drew her in close.

"Are you okay?" He asked quietly, cradling her face in his hand.

She sighed, leaning into his palm unconsciously. "Yeah, yeah, why do you ask?" Then she grimaced. "I woke you up, didn't I?"

Shin-ah shook his head. He was already up, waiting for her to fall asleep. He was alarmed when he saw her go towards the sea, but the tension eased when she didn't go any further than a couple of inches. The only reason why he didn't go to her sooner was because he was enchanted by whatever it was that she was doing.

She looked so graceful and at peace that he couldn't bring himself to disrupt her.

His head tilted cutely, evoking a giggle from the girl across from him. "What... were you doing?"

Her silver eyes lit up. "I was dancing. The moonlight just seemed so bright tonight, I couldn't help it."

His brow furrowed in concentration. "... Dancing?"

The word sounded foreign on his tongue and her jaw dropped in shock.

"Shin-ah, do you not know how to dance?"