Keith smiled sadly and squeezed my hand. His eyes were full of remorse and I knew what he was going to say. "I'm sorry, Eves. I've already discussed her case with every neurosurgeon here and overseas but as it's a complicated condition, there's nothing we or any doctor can do. I'm so sorry."

"No!" I harshly removed my hand from his. I couldn't believe what was happening right now. All these years, all the hardships, sleepless nights for one dream and now that very dream me and Eva have endured everything for, is being shattered right in front of my eyes. I couldn't tolerate it.

I got up from my seat and without a word or a backward glance at Keith, I stormed away from there, ignoring Keith's frantic calls and in a couple of minutes, I was driving beyond normal speed limit, the adrenaline running high in my whole being.

I was driving but didn't have a destination. I didn't want to give home. I just wanted to be alone somewhere. Anywhere but not home. Because suddenly it became just a place I sleep. Just an apartment. Not a home. Because it was made for my sister who would dance to a Shawn Mendes song in her welcome party. Which was not going to happen now.

I swerved to the left and pulled over in a stranded road. Looking around, I saw that there were only a few vehicles passing by, but the place was otherwise deserted. I was finally alone in an unknown place, where no one gave a second glance at whatever I do. Just like I wanted.

I turned off my engine and finally let my mask fall down. I let go of the tears I'd been holding from the moment Keith uttered his first sentence. I let go of everything and cried hard. I cried for my parents who were taken away before me and Eva could learn to make breakfast. I cried for my sister who was never going to walk in her show. I cried for her eyes filled with life and so much hope just an hour ago, unbeknownst to the cruel reality. For the first time after my parents death, I cried my heart out.

I didn't know how long I'd been sitting in my car in the unknown place when a series of knocks suddenly woke me up. I realized I'd fallen asleep there. Rubbing my sore neck, I glanced around to see that it had gotten dark already. I jerked up at hearing another knock on my window.

I saw a silhouette of a man bent over my car but couldn't make out the face properly. I unlocked my car and climbed out only to see Adrian standing there looking worried, looking good as ever in his black suit. He breathed what seemed to be a sigh of relief but his expression suddenly turned into panic when he looked into my eyes.

"Evelyn! What are you doing here in the middle of the road? Are you okay? What happened? Did you get into an accident? Talk to me, Evelyn. What's wrong? Are you hurt anywhere? Why were you crying?" He fired lots of questions at me and suddenly everything came rushing back to me about my conversation with Keith.

I didn't know what came over me suddenly but before I could think rationally, I threw myself into his arms and started crying again. Adrian tensed and stood still for a moment. Feeling embarrassed, I was about to remove myself from his arms and apologize to him when he came out of his trance and wrapped his arms around me, holding me tightly.

Uncontrolled sobs left my body and Adrian tightened his hold on me, slowly moving his hands over my back and murmuring soothing words in my ear. I was wrong. I didn't want to be alone right now. I wanted to cry as someone held me tight, and prevented me from falling apart. Just like Adrian was at the moment.

We stood that way for a long time. Wrapped up against each other in the middle of nowhere. My sobs were finally beginning to cease but Adrian was still whispering comforting words in my ear. I slowly pulled away and looked at his eyes.

He was looking at me with such a tenderness that made my want to cry again. However, I smiled weakly at him and replied his earlier question. "I'm fine. I didn't get into an accident. I just lost my way and got upset over it. I'm sorry for worrying you."