Chapter 56

Adrian's POV

"Don't show me your face ever again."

"Was I so much of a horrible person back then that you hate me to the point of hurting me in the worst possible way one could ever hurt me?"

"I'll never forgive you for that. Never."

"It saved me from the additional heartache I would've had if I really loved you."

"I wish I had died that day with my parents."

"I regret the very day you came into my life."

I slammed the glass on the mirror, breaking both of them into thousands of pieces. Those words kept repeating in my head, haunting me every second of the day. I looked at the broken pieces of glasses on the floor, feeling the similarities between them and my heart.

It was Monday morning and I had spent the entirety of last night trying to drown myself in my drinks. I wanted to get rid of those words spoken with so much hurt and hate by the very person I loved more than anyone else.

I remembered that day in the courtroom when she had a panic attack. I had never been so terrified than I was in that moment. My self loathing only grew after witnessing the consequences of my actions.

I didn't want to attend the party last night. The fact that her friend invited me meant that she hadn't told her at what I had done. My mind told me countless times to stay back, not to attend the party because I won't be able to hold myself back but I fell weak to my heart's desires. My soul longed to be near her, my eyes longed to see her, my arms longed to hold her and my heart longed to beat once again in her presence.

When I saw her looking so beautiful, I wanted to take her in my arms and kiss her right then and there. And when she was in my arms, albeit unwillingly for the dance cut off short by my stupidity, I saw how much I'd hurt her. Her eyes held a deep sorrow in them. The eyes that used to sparkle everytime she looked at me or rolled them at me now held a hollowness in them. She had tried to conceal them, but up close, I could see dark bags around her eyes. And I was the cause. I was torn between wanting to pull her in my arms and kill myself for causing her pain.

As if I hadn't caused enough problems already, I had to be an idiot and ask her how she was. I thought I had endured every pain there was by hurting her, but her words made me feel that I was yet to hit the rock bottom.

"I wish I had died that day with my parents."

"I regret the very day you came into my life."

She'd spoken these words with so much pain that it felt like my heart was once again cut open and been smashed into pieces. There had never been a moment I hated anyone more than I hated myself then. I wanted nothing more than to tell her the truth just to have those eyes looking at me for once without any hurt or hate in them but I held myself back with an immense willpower.

I thought back to my conversation with Eva last night. She'd stopped me just when I was about to exit after Eve left me standing on the dance floor with my heart bleeding at her words. Eva had called me then.

"Wait!"

I turned back and saw Eva running towards me. It immediately caught my attention. "Bubbles? What's wrong? Did something happen to Eve?" I asked in alarm.

She finally stopped in front of me and folded her arms against her chest, narrowing her eyes at me. "Yes, something has happen to my sister. And I want to know what. You tell me, what did you do to her?"