Chapter 16

MIDSUMMERS PT II

"Hey." Pope says, tapping JJ on the shoulder.

"Dude, don't sneak up on me like that right now." JJ says, on edge. He needed to get the note to Sarah before getting ambushed by the Kooks, he was out in the open. Pope pulls him in for a hug.

"Whoa, unexpected PDA there Dr. Spock, but uh.. hey love you too man." JJ says, surprised that Pope hugged him, gave him a kiss on the cheek.

" JJ says, surprised that Pope hugged him, gave him a kiss on the cheek

"Dude, I'm sick over all this shit man." Pope says, feeling guilty.

"You're sick?" JJ asks.

"You don't seem sick." JJ says, putting his hand on his forehead to check his temperature as a joke.

"I'm sick on the inside." Pope clarifies.

"Right. Well I already knew that. You study dead bodies." JJ says, joking.

"Did Shoupe do that?" Pope asks, seeing the bruises and scars on JJ's face.

"Oh this? No. This is-it's my dad. You know? Has that right jab. Can really snap it off a few times." JJ jokes, pretending to punch Pope. He always shrugged it off whenever anyone had a concern over the scars.

"That looks more than a Jab bro." Pope says. JJ shakes his head.

"Its nothing that hasn't happened before." JJ says, shrugging.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have let you taken the fall for this. It's my fault" Pope says, he felt really guilty.

"No it's not." JJ says.

"No, it's my fault." Pope insists.

"Shut up." JJ says.

"You took the fall for me. I'll tell the truth, go to the cops." Pope repeats.

"Shut up! Pope! Shut up! For once in your life, trust someone else. John B and I got it all sorted out. We're gonna be filthy rich man! We're back in the G-game baby." JJ says, putting his hands on Pope's shoulders.

"G game? I thought we lost the gold game?" Pope asks, confused.

"Yeah? Well we're in overtime now. Fourth and one baby. Be right back." JJ says, leaving.

"Fourth and one? What do you mean?" Pope asks.

"I'll explain later." JJ says, leaving. He made his way to Sarah Cameron, who was socializing with some people before he was stopped by Jade.

"JJ?" Jade asks, turning around. He was definitely not supposed to be here and if the Kooks found him, well she knew what was gonna happen.

He flinched, hearing his name. But he turned around to see Jade, someone he didn't expect to hear.

"What happened to your face?" Jade asks, seeing the scuffs and scars all over. It looked more than just a fight.