chapter 18: tryouts

YAYYYY SOCCERRRRRR!!!! Enjoy!

*Sophie POV*

I walk into the girls locker room and open my locker, grabbing my cleats, socks, and shorts. I get changed in one of the empty stalls and put my cleats in my soccer bag. Once I get out of the stall, I fill up my Hydro Flask to the top and exit the locker room. 

"Sophie!" Skylar runs towards me. "Come on, the fields are out here," she leads me over to back door of the gym and we step outside. The fields are huge. There's a turf field on the right hand side, closest to the parking lot and a baseball field in the back on the left hand side, and in front a tennis court. There are grass fields in the back also, and in the center there is a football field with a track around it. 

"Expensive."

"You can say that again," we start walking over to the turf field and she sets her bag over by the metal bench on the sideline. 

"Ahhh, Ms. Foster, so glad you could join us. Because you are new to the district, you will be trying out with the team in a practice format. We will run through our normal routine- Skylar! Stop lining up the bags!" I look behind me to see Skylar hunched over, fixing the bags and moving them into numerical order. "She does this every time."

"Uhhh..."

"Skylar Hudson!" coach slams down his hat. Skylar immediately straightens up and rejoins the circle. 

"OCD?"

"Not quite."

"Okay, girls, you know the drill." Everyone walks over to different boxes, four going to each of the sides, and one to the middle. I just follow Skylar. 

"Sophie, this is Emery," she points to an emerald eyed dirty blonde, "Keira," she points to a brunette, "and Stina." 

Oh, great! Does she have to be on the soccer team?

Stina scowls at me. 

"Freshman, get in the middle," she yells at Skylar.

"Oh, I love being in the middle!" Skylar goes to the center of the box and faces Emery, who has the ball. "Okay, so what happens is," she does a head check behind her, and Stina has her right hand up, gesturing to my box. Emery passes the ball to Skylar, and she one-times it to me. Keira, who is across from me, gestures to Stina, and so on and so forth. 

Then it's Stina's turn in the middle. The bad thing is that she's really good. And she hates me. 

"Come on, newbie, what are you doing with those weak passes!" 

"You suck, newbie!"

"Horrible pass, newbie!" 

"Ugh, newbie, be quicker!"

"You're slow!"

Ouch, that kinda hurt

"It'll get better, Sophie," Emery assures me. 

"Okay, now voice commands!" Skylar gets back in the middle and we go through the drill again, just this time, we say the name of the person we want the person with the ball to pass to. 

"Newbie!" 

"Newbie!"

"Newbie!"

"Newbie!"

"Newbie!"

"I'm just surprised she didn't get all twisted up. I can't even say 'newbie' five times fast," Skylar says as we walk back to the school. 

"I know ri-" I slam into something. 

I look up to see a really cute guy. Really cute. 

"Oh, sorry, didn't see you there," he chuckles, looking right into my eyes. "See ya round," he does finger guns at me then sprints off.

I stand there for a second, likely looking dumb, gaping.

"Personally I think coach will put you in," Skylar says, ignoring the fact that I'm mesmerized.  

"Uhh, yeah, me too."

"Who was that?!?!" Dex demands, stopping me outside the girls' locker room

"Who was who?"

"What were you doing talking to Liam Howell, the school's biggest player?!?!"