CHAPTER 1, PART 3

Ices and Katarina walk back into the village where there are dragons and people roaming the grounds as well as the sky as they walk to their homes. As they walk into the centre of the village Fishlegs suddenly bumps into Ices, not seeing where he was going, with his nose buried in the book of dragons. The book fell onto the ground, with the pages open beside Ices who fell onto the floor.

"Hey watch it!" She exclaimed as she rubbed her neck, grumbling in frustration.

"Oh dear I'm sorry! I wasn't looking where I was going." Fishlegs said frantic and apologetic.

"Ha nice going Fishface" Snotlout said, making fun of Fishlegs as he stood beside him folding his arms looking down at Ices on the floor, then at Fishlegs.

"Where are you guys going in such a hurry?" Katarina asked them which was quickly followed up by a question from Ices, who was still on the floor.

"And what is Dragon Root?" She had the book of dragons in her hands, reading the pages that were open out loud. "Has different effects depending on the species of dragon, but mostly seems to turn them wild, even those that are trained-" She narrates a selective passage from their documentation in the book, before giving Katarina an 'i told you so' look who then pouts unamused.

"Well actually that's only part of what we found out about the root. We ran into some today back on Mildew's farm. We were about to head over to the Great Hall to document it all in the Book of Dragons" Hiccup said, stepping towards them with Astrid who gave Ices a hand to get up off the ground, still holding the book in her hand. As she got up she held the book out to hand it back to Hiccup who was about to take it from her. She looked down at it for a moment in thought before pulling it back towards her as he was about to take it from her. He gave her a confused look but said nothing.

"Actually, would it be alright if I joined you guys up at the Great Hall?" She asked him looking down at the book before looking up at him with a gentle reassuring smile which he returned with one which read as to say he was glad she was giving the dragons a chance.

Ices turned to Katarina "You coming too?" to which she replied by shaking her head.

"Thanks for the offer but I really should be getting back to Asger. I'll see you guys later" She said as she turned to leave, giving a quick wave.

"Alright then dragon riders, let's head up" Hiccup said as he took the lead to walk the way up to the Great Hall.

The sun starts to set as the gang make their way up the wide, stone staircase that leads up to the centrepiece of their proud village, the great hall. Fishlegs ran ahead to walk in first followed by Snotlout, Hiccup and then Ices followed closely by Astrid. The group sat down at the end of one of the tables near to the centre burning light in the hall. They three boys across from Ices and Astrid, who kept close next to her as she and Ices were both great in the Dragon killing ring, having become quite good friends back from those days before the supposed peace with the dragons.

Ices puts the book down onto the table and pushes it towards Fishlegs and Hiccup across from her who then takes the book turning it the right way towards them and opens the book and turns a few pages before he finds the next few empty pages.

"Right, so where do we start?" Ices said leaning forward, across on the table, her knees on the sitting bench to see the pages better. Hiccup took the pencil in his left hand and tapped on his mouth with it thinking.

"Well I think we should start with drawing out what it looks like so" He said before he put his head down, making a sketch of the root. Ices watched intently as he drew it then pulled a disgusted face as he finished.

"Ew, that's one ugly looking plant, no wonder it makes the dragons go crazy" She commented.

"Yeah, if I looked like that, I would avoid me too, good thing I don't, right Astrid?" Snotlout says in a smug voice as he leans his arm on the table and gives a flirtatious look toward Astrid who impulsively rolls her eyes "Oh Thor. She says under her breath causing Ices to laugh a little at her.

"Well honestly, we don't know what about the root makes the dragons go so crazy. Only that when a dragon goes near it, it turns them feral again" Hiccup said looking at the two girls across from him.

Then Astrid shook her head, "Well that isn't exactly true, when me and Snotlout switched dragons, they didn't attack because they didn't want to hurt us as their rider. I so you could write that all dragons do turn wild but if the dragon is trained, the dragon can still be controlled if the bond between dragon and rider is strong enough"

"Eh, Astrid, I think you're missing out a key fact there" Fishlegs said raising his finger to bring subtle attention to himself

"Oh yeah and what's that?" She said crossing her arms looking at him with unimpressed eyes.

"The root made Stormfly and Hookfang go feral but when my girl Meatlug went near the root, she was unaffected. So I think that Gronkles are immune to the root." Fishlegs explained to the rest

"Oh yeah you got a point there, and if that is the case, some other dragon types may also be immune to the root" Hiccup added as he continued to write in the book.

"Well then if it makes dragons go crazy, what did you do to it? Boulder class dragons can burrow into the ground so u couldn't have buried it. Did you burn it?" Ices then asked them inquisitively.

"Well since Meatlug was the only one that seemed immune to the root, Fishlegs and Meatlug drop the root into the ocean, even though I did suggest having Hookfang torch it but then he might have gone crazy again." Snotlout said in a surprisingly mature tone.

"But the tidal class dragons? Won't that make them go crazy?" Ices asked them

"Actually, we aren't sure, but so far it didn't seem to aggravate them at all so maybe the water makes it so that they aren't affected but maybe it will do outside of the water, but we can't be sure" Fishlegs answered her.

"Oh alright" Ices replied, nodding then looking down at Hiccup as he continued to write in the book and as did everyone until he finished. He then put his pencil down and held the book up and everyone gathered behind him to look at the pages with the information. "Doesn't look half bad." Astrid said. "But let's hope we don't have to add any more information to them later on because i don't want to deal with that root again for a while". She then added. Snotlout stretched his arms in the air yawning "Great so does that mean we can go to bed now?" He said. "I thought rest was for the weak?" Ices teased him. He opened his mouth then unable to come up with a comeback he folded his arms. "Shut up Ices." He said and the gang laughed at him. "Yeah but he is right. We should all head home and get some rest" Hiccup said to everyone at the table.