Chapter 20

- The Little Dreamer -

Xana and I weren't best friends from the start. It's funny actually because we hated each other.

When I moved here when I was about seven or eight, I was the only girl in the class that was as small as Xana. We were midgets compared to the rest of our class.

I think the reason she hated me was because the kids in our class would compare her to me. I didn't hate her until I tried to be nice and she was mean.

We literally went all through the rest of 3rd grade hating each other. It didn't help that we had seats right next to each other in the back of the class. They class knew we hated each other and only made it worse because they would play pranks on us and say the other was at fault. After a while they stopped because we started getting intense. Well as intense as a third grader can get.

We did things like hide each others belongings, or stole a sticker off their good behavior charts, broke the lead off each others pencils so they would have to get up and walk all the way up to the front to sharpen them because the only sharpener there was, was right at the front of the room next to the teachers desk. I mean we weren't viscous or cruel, but we were mean to each other.

We finally got in a fight one day because we kept staring at each other at lunch. Xana got so mad she came over from her table and poured her smashed up jello and banana pudding all over my head. She started to walk away when I picked up my pb & j sandwich and pulled it apart and slammed the sides on the sides of her head and I poured my applesauce all over her head.

At the time Xana had the short hair only to her shoulders and I had the long hair down to my butt almost so most of the stuff I dumped on her head landed on her clothes more than her hair.

I smeared every last drop on her head. I remember after that she turned around and tackled me and we rolled around on the floor fighting until I sat up ready to hit her back and started laughing. She looked so silly. Applesauce chucks stuck throughout her hair and pieces of bread stuck to the sides of her head making her look like she had giant bread ears.

She then took the time to sit up and look at me and laugh. I must've looked stupidly weird with bright green jello chunks all in my hair and apparently I had a vanilla wafer cookie stuck to the top of my head making me look like the cherry on the top of an ice cream.

We don't even remember why we hated each other so much, but it didn't matter because we became friends and now laugh about it.

Everyone thought it was weird and thought that we pretended to hate each other.

In the end all they could think is, "What a couple of weirdos" and I couldn't agree more.