Chapter Three

Evan's POV

Despair fueled every step he ran. He couldn't believe it. In one fell swoop he had lost his chance for a mate. His heart hurt, it physically pained him. The full impact hit him hard. He would never have children or meet his soulmate. He stopped running and collapsed to the ground.

How could the Moon Goddess be so cruel? Did she hate him because he questioned his future? He wept and didn't have the strength to stop his tears.

"My child. Let me explain." He heard the Moon Goddess but couldn't bear to look at her. What was there to explain? He was being punished in the cruelest possible way. He heard her sigh.

"Evan. You ran before I could tell you my plans for you." She said gently. "You are not being punished. You are being given a wonderful opportunity" she continued and that got his attention. He looked up at her and she wiped away his tears.

"Do you think I hate you?" She asked him.

He shrugged. "It feels like it." He admitted. She laughed a hearty laugh which surprised him.

"I could never hate you. I love you. My angels are my children and I love each and every one of them." She smiled gently.
He doubted that, Ramona had been banished after all, he thought to himself.

The Moon Goddess frowned.

"When Ramona left us, she wasn't being punished. I didn't banish her out of cruelty. She had found someone that she couldn't live without, her faith didn't change, just her situation. She asked to leave so I granted her wish. Do you understand?" She asked.

Evan felt ashamed that he had thought that. In his eyes it was black and white and he had not considered anything else. "I am sorry for thinking that."

She smiled at him. "Since she left I have heard your prayers, your anxieties and your worries. I have watched you grow into such a wonderful angel. I am so proud of you." She wrapped her arms around him and felt all of her warmth and love in the embrace.

"You have a plan for me?" He timidly asked.

"I do. I have given this a lot of thought. As much as I love having you by my side and assisting me, you are very much needed on earth."

He opened and closed his mouth, shock thwarting his reasoning and ability to speak so he remained quiet.

The Moon Goddess continued speaking. He hung on her every word.

'Do you remember a slight bump in the mate settings, a wee bit of an oversight on my part", she said dismissively like it wasn't a big deal. It was a huge deal!! HUGE! Alpha James was missing a mate that had been dead for decades. He almost became a rogue because of his loneliness and bitterness. By the time Evan had noticed that James's mate had died during child birth, decades had passed. James would have to wait another 18 years to meet his second chance soulmate, Charlie.

Evan remembered it well. It worked out wonderfully with two mated wolves that were so happy and in love.

"There will be two wolves born. One a rogue that James and Charlie will adopt and raise and another, born to Alpha Dean and his wife Doris." The Moon Goddess began.

"They will be friends and will be as close as brothers. Tragedy is already coming and as much as I would like to stop it, I can not."

That surprised Evan and the look on his face expressed that.

"I do have the power to stop it, yes, but I must weigh the factors, both good and bad. It must happen, as much as this pains me, it must happen." Evan looked at the downcast face of the Moon Godess and knew that her power was limitless as was her wisdom.

"I am sending you to help them, to guide and support them. Through one you will help the other." Evan nodded his understanding.

"You will be a wolf spirit". She said so calmly that he did not react at first.

The words began to sink in. "A wolf spirit?" She merely nodded.

He tried to wrap his head around it. He would be part wolf, not an angel. He would be with his one person forever and, it slowly dawned on him, he would never return to heaven.

The all knowing Moon Goddess picked up on his thoughts and smiled.

"You will be missed in heaven but your role in their life will bring you so much joy and peace. You are very much needed with them."

He was troubled, saddened, worried until that feeling left him quickly and was replaced by a feeling of calm and clarity.

He simply nodded and smiled for his decision was made.

"We have preparations to make." She said as she held out her hand which he gladly took.