3. Old Cars and Notes

Start from the beginning

"I know," Hotch says. "We also have no idea when or where he's going to strike next."

"We need a map in here," you mutter. "We need to trace his kills, see if he's been going in a specific direction that past four years."

Rossi turns on his heels to go to Yates about a map, and Garcia's head whips up.

"So, normally searching car records takes time because everyone is always buying cars all the time. Thankfully, Blythewood is tiny, especially back in the nineties, and after searching records I came upon a nineteen ninety-seven black Honda Odyssey registered to Joseph Y/l/n." Garcia smiles proudly at you and Hotch. "Unfortunately, I didn't get any hits on the original plates, which means he either has stolen plates or after he left Blythewood the car was reregistered to someone else, therefore, new plates."

Hotch nods. "Does it say the car belongs to anyone now?"

Garcia types quickly. "Uh, yes, actually." As she reads, her voice gets slower, the realization hitting her. "Four years ago, the car was registered to someone named Hunter Garrison."

"Can you track the plates?"

After a moment, Garcia speaks up again. "The car is in Enola, Pennsylvania, which is only about ten miles from here."

"He had to have abandoned it," you say as Rossi comes back in with a big map, pinning it on the board. "There's no way he'd keep the car—especially after someone saw him drive away in it."

"Garcia, research all you can about Hunter Garrison. I want his life story."

"Your wish is my command, o' great king."

"Rossi, pin the locations of all the murders the past four years. Y/l/n and I are going to check out the car."

"You got it," Rossi says, opening his tablet.

You and Hotch turn to leave when you see Spencer and Prentiss approaching. Hotch raises his eyebrows.

"What did you guys find?"

"All of the torture on the victim was done before death," Spencer says. "Absolutely no marks were left post-mortem except the ring fingers being cut off. There was a distinct lack of blood flow to where the incisions were made. It's also like Joseph was in a hurry to get the fingers off as well—it was almost like they were half cut, half torn off."

"Jesus," you groan, your stomach flipping in the worst possible way.

"Other than that, victimology looks the same as it does on the other victims," Prentiss says, putting her hands on her hips.

"Good job. Go help Rossi, we're trying to see if there's a pattern in the murders to see if Joseph is traveling in a certain direction. We need to try to narrow down where he'll be next."

Prentiss and Spencer nod, Spencer giving you a quick kiss on the cheek as he walks by you. You and Hotch walk out to the SUV, and you climb into the passenger seat, pulling out your phone.

"Do you mind if I call Will? I just wanna make sure my kids are okay," you say, fiddling with your phone.

Hotch nods and you give him a thankful nod, dialing Will's number and putting the phone to your ear. After a couple rings, Will answers.

"Hey, Y/n," he says, a smile in his voice.

"Hey, Will," you say, smiling softly. "I hate to bother you, but—"

"But you wanna speak to your little ones. I understand." You hear him call Joseph over.

"Hi, mama!" Joseph says into the phone.