3. Old Cars and Notes

Start from the beginning

Eddie nods. "Of course."

"Where were you when you saw the abduction take place?" Rossi asks, tilting his head.

The young man swallows, leaning forward in his seat slightly. "I was at the gym. I know Melissa from the gym—we've both been going there for a couple of years. We always park down the block and race to see who can get to the building the fastest and we always went at night." He's quiet for a moment. "After our workout, she left a couple of minutes before me. I, um, I was walking down the block to my car when I saw Melissa struggling with a man."

"But it was dark, how could you have gotten close enough to see his face clearly?" You ask, furrowing your brow.

Eddie shifts in his seat. "I actually ran up to help stop him—I was going to attack him. He had one arm around Melissa, and I remember yelling for him to stop." His voice is thick, like he's about to start crying. "He turned toward me—and that's when I saw his face. I tried, b-but I guess I wasn't strong enough. He punched me so hard I fell down and all I remember hearing is Melissa screaming as he dragged her away."

You clench your jaw, inhaling deeply. "This isn't your fault, Eddie."

Eddie shakes his head. "Maybe if I left with her o-or was stronger, I could've helped her."

Hotch looks at him, his gaze soothing. "Eddie, there's nothing you could have done. This isn't your fault."

"Did you happen to see what kind of car the man was driving?" Rossi asks.

Eddie bites his bottom lip, thinking. "I didn't get a good look before he punched me—but after hitting the ground, I remember seeing a black minivan. It was blurry but I know it was black."

"Was it a Honda Odyssey?" You ask, leaning forward in your seat.

"I-I don't know, it could have been. I didn't get a good look. I'm sorry," Eddie whispers, his voice breaking a little.

"It's okay, Eddie. Thank you for your time." Hotch stands, and you and Rossi follow suit, following him out of the office.

The three of you go to Garcia. She's finished setting up—her two computer screens active and ready to go. She smiles when you guys enter the room, twiddling her fuzzy pink pen in her fingers.

"Please tell me I can do something to help," she says, her eyes flicking to you.

Hotch turns his head toward you. "Why did you suggest a Honda Odyssey?"

You rock back and forth on your heels slightly. "It was the car my dad owned when we were little. When we moved to Gatlinburg, I thought he got rid of it. He could still have it and be using it now. If he's as good of a serial killer as we think he is, there's no way he'd be using his regular car."

"Do you know what year the car is?"

You squeeze your eyes shut, trying to remember. "Uh...nineteen ninety-seven or eight, I think. It's an older model. It used to be registered under his name, but he could have it registered under God knows what now. Plus, he'd have different tags."

"Garcia, look up any black Honda Odyssey's that were bought in Blythewood from nineteen ninety-seven to nineteen ninety-eight. See if we can find the original vehicle Joseph had when he lived there. We may not have the plates, but if you find it, we'll have the VIN number. We can use that to find the plates."

"Say less, my liege."

While she's typing, you turn toward Hotch and Rossi. "My dad could be working with a partner. Or multiple partners. You heard Tyler—a lot of people owe him favors. We don't know how big this web extends, and that scares me." You shake your head. "I don't know who we can trust."