Chapter 22

"Where should we start?" Vincent asked more to himself than to me

"How about you start at the beginning?" I suggested.

"I'll leave you two to it." Dimitri said, standing up to leave.

"Sit, brother." Vincent ordered. "This is both of our story."

Dimitri seemed reluctant to stay. For some reason he looked to be on edge. He kept looking outside as if waiting for someone-something.

"My brother and I were both young when it all happened. We of course knew what we were. We couldn't wait until we turned thirteen. We still had some time until we turned thirteen." Vincent said. "When we were little I saw both of our parents being murdered. Do you remember that day, Dimitri?"

"How can I forget? I'm reminded of it every day."

"So it was Thursday and we didn't go to school that day. Dimitri was sick and I refused to go if he didn't go to school. Our mom was more than okay with it. We were home all day and she made sure we didn't get bored." Vincent went on. "Dimitri started to feel worse towards nighttime. Mom was tucking him into bed when dad came rushing in. He said we needed to leave immediately."

Dimitri grunted and stood up from his seat. He didn't try to leave again. I think we all knew that if he did Vincent would stop him. We all needed to be on the ride for this story.

"We didn't get out soon enough. They all stormed through the door and my mom took us both back to our room. We were supposed to hide in the back of the closet. We heard a lot of screaming and things being shattered. Dimitri was still weak and-"

"You should be heading home, Chloe. It's going to get dark outside."

"She isn't going anywhere, Dimitri." Vincent rolled his eyes.

"You never listen to me, Vince. We don't even have any Aconite for this week. It's dangerous for her to be here."

"Why?" I asked. "Why is it dangerous?"

"She has the right to know." Vincent said to Dimitri.

"Not like this."

"What better way to show her than our true form?"

Dimitri opened his mouth to protest but hunched over and groaned in pain. He made his way out of the shed. I started to follow after him but Vincent stiffly stood up and walked up to me.

"Leave him. You do want to know the rest of the story, don't you?" Vincent asked.

"What's wrong with him?"

"Like I said, Dimitri was weak because he was sick. I waited for our mom to come back for us. It seemed like days had passed before I got the courage to even get out of the closet. When I did I found-"