Part 7

Part 7

32 weeks

Ignoring tradition, you and Matt decided to have a single baby shower with everyone invited instead of a separate shower and a pamper party. It was more convenient for everyone and one party was less clean up, so bonus. What you weren't expecting was for so many people to show up. You knew Matt had a big family but you didn't think so many of them were invited. But, you did give Chantal and Taryn free reign to plan it so really, you shouldn't be that surprised.

Most of his family was great and you get along with them wonderfully, especially some of his cousins who are around your age. But then there are the older women who are supposed to be mature, yet are giving you dirty looks and whispering things to each other.

It makes you self conscious because you know exactly the kind of things they are thinking and saying. It's the exact same thing you've seen from some of Matt's "fans". Comments about how you got pregnant on purpose, and how it's a shame now that Matt is stuck with you. You knew the comments were just people who were trying to get under your skin but knowing that some of his family and friends might be thinking the same was hurtful.

You do your best to ignore it though and focus on the people who are actually nice to you, answering all the questions they have about potential baby names, what brands you're using for the baby, and other purposeless things. But the feeling is always in the back of your mind so at one point, you slip into Matt's bedroom so you can just breathe for a moment.

This, of course, just gives you more time to worry about what people are thinking about you and how they're judging you and before you know it, you feel like you might cry.

Stupid hormones.

A knock on the door breaks you from your thoughts and you look up to see Matt standing there.

"Hey," he says quietly, shutting the door behind him and walking over to sit next to you. "you disappeared."

"Just needed a minute." You tell him, hoping he doesn't notice the way your voice cracks but the looks he gives you says you should know better by now.

"What's going on inside your head?"

You shrug, not knowing how to explain without insulting his family. You don't want him to think that you don't like them, but you know he won't leave you alone until you tell him why you're upset.

So you try an approach you think he might understand.

"Do you ever feel like you're being judged?" You ask quietly.

"All the time." He answers easily. "Comes with the job description."

"So you understand how it feels." You say and he raises an eyebrow at you.

"Is that what this is about?" He nudges you. "You can't possibly think they're judging you, Y/N."

"But they are! I see the looks some of your family and friends give me. It's like they think I got knocked up on purpose."

He shakes his head. "Who cares what they think?"

"You should care about what they think." You say slowly, raising an eyebrow at his dismissal. "They're your family."

He shrugs. "You're my family too."

He says it so casually, so effortlessly and it's like something just clicks in your brain and suddenly you have this overwhelming want, no need, to kiss him.