"I can't stand here while innocent people suffer

"I can't stand here while innocent people suffer. Not when I can do something!" she replied, putting the earrings back on.

"And that's why you'll be an amazing hero, Marinette!" Tikki replied.

Marinette clenched her fists, not wanting to linger a second longer. "Well, we'll have to see about that. But for now, Tikki TRANSFORM ME!"

Power rushed through her, coursed through her veins. The first time she'd transformed had made her feel weird, like a plate of jelly sliding around a plate, desperate to stay put. Now was different. Now she welcomed it, embraced the power like an old friend. It was like breathing after a minute of holding her breath, and she was almost giddy from it. Her world disappeared into nothing but light, strength and magic. She accepted it all. Heart, body, and soul, she was one with the miraculous.

She was a hero.

She was Ladybug.

Acting on instinct, she grabbed her yoyo and flicked it towards the car Alya was pinned by. Whereas before the yoyo had disobeyed her, had seemed to have a life of its own, now it acted as an extension of herself. It did her bidding as she made it slice straight through the car, releasing Alya from its metallic hold.

She ran forwards, not even stopping to hear their thank-yous. Her eyes met her parents, and a strange pang filled her heart when their wide eyes fixed on her, not recognising their own daughter. But she pushed those feelings to the side. Now wasn't the time to dwell on that. Besides, it was better that they didn't know.

"Get to shelter!" she yelled to them, snapping her yoyo back towards her and spinning it. "Tell everyone you meet to do the same! It's not safe outside!"

Only when she saw her parents, and Alya, complying did she turn herself away. Using the momentum from the yoyo, she flicked it out to a streetlamp. Chat and Ivan were almost at the end of the street. She had to be smart about this.

Launching herself into the air, she swung. Her feet stretched out, aiming straight for Ivan's stone head. "HEY!"

Ivan turned his head at the sound, just in time to see her feet slam into his face. He wobbled, groaning in anger. Though he didn't topple, the force of her kick disorientated him enough for her to swing around a second time, hitting the other side of his head with everything she had.

He began to fall, and Ladybug flipped forwards, landing on his back. Leaping over Ivan's shoulder she reached out and grabbed Chat, propelling them both out of the way of Ivan's body.

They landed close together, skidding to the ground in a way that would've surely broken all their bones had they not had their miraculous. Ladybug shook her head. Apparently the miraculous protected you from most injuries, but disorientation was still a factor. Her stomach swooped, but she recovered after a few breaths. Glancing up, she saw Chat sitting up with a groan.