𝟬𝟯

Alanis Maria Laurindo

5-year-old Alanis Maria Laurindo de Oliveira was a bright kid who brought a new direction in life to her mother, 26-year-old Patrícia Laurindo. She would spend her days playing her favorite games and bringing happiness to her family. On January 7th, 2010, the girl accompanied her parents to the Catholic church located in the neighborhood where they lived in Fortaleza, capital of Ceará, to attend mass. No one could ever imagine that Alanis would be kidnapped, sexually assaulted and assassinated.

Alanis Maria was playing near the church entrance while her parents, Patrícia and Adairton Silvano, were attending the mass, when all of a sudden she was approached by a man who had been observing her from the outside. The man was 30-year-old Antônio Carlos dos Santos Xavier, known as "Cassim", a fugitive from prison convicted on rape charges 9 years before - he escaped from prison in May 2008. He lured Alanis with snacks and took her along with him around 7:40 P.M.

Not long after, Patrícia Laurindo noticed her daughter had vanished. She immediately shouted "Alanis has disappeared" and everyone present in the church became concerned. The panic took over the place, and soon the city. Alanis was reported missing and several people helped in her search all over Fortaleza for hours on end, but lamentably they could not find her before it was too late. Alanis was murdered around 10:00 P.M. that night, and her body would only be found on the evening of the next day, January 8th.

Antônio Carlos was arrested five days later at the Siqueira bus station after being recognized by a passerby. He confessed to the rape and murder. He stated that after offering Alanis popcorn, he went walking away and she followed him. Through the streets of Fortaleza, the abductor and his victim went straight to Antônio Bezerra neighborhood, more specifically to a bush area where Carlos sexually assaulted his last 5-year-old victim and left her to die back in 2000 - however, she survived.

Alanis had several bruises on her body and died as a result of head trauma and strangulation. Cassim faced the trial that same year, in August 2010, being sentenced to 31 years and 8 months behind bars.