(Pt. 9) Skyward Bound

~(y/n)~

Their eyes pried open. A blurred ceiling they didn't recognize sat above them. Slowly, they sat up, feeling the lightness of their back. 

Groaning, they sat up. Keigo's jacket fell off their body. A familiar ring thudded against their eardrum. Their legs lay bare but covered in ash and bandages. They were in a large bedroom. A TV sat in front of the bed next to a few fake plants. A window covered the entirety of the wall with a balcony. A stormy sky displayed the sunset underneath. The day's end streamed through the glass, coating the room in golden light. The city fog lay several stories below. Cold oak floors covered the floors as the ceilings above were so high someone would need two ladders to change a bulb.

They slid off the red silk bed sheets. Their legs turned to jello as they tugged the jacket around their shoulders. Its warm fabric calms the goosebumps prickling along their shoulders. Nausea bubbled up in their stomach as their head rang. 

Glancing over their shoulders, their wings were now half the size. The crystal had lost its original shine but was intact besides a few cracked feathers. (y/n) stumbled towards the window, pressing a palm against the cold glass.

They began to get lost in the view as the echoes of a shower turned on. They turned only to assume it came from the attached bathroom. The entire room smelled of rosewood or some other forest scent.

The fog lay beneath hundreds of stories and the city's night lights flickering on. Upon finding the handle, they stepped out onto the cold concrete. A chilled wind ruffled their hair.

They leaned over the glass railing to stare, holding the warm jacket closer. Finally, they leaned back and walked around the terrace. The cold concrete had been coated in a layer of stain and felt cold on their bare feet. Rounding the corner, there was a hot tube so big one could swim in it.

"Does a millionaire live here?" (y/n) whispered. The oversized jacket fell to their shoulders. It did never fit right, much too big. But, then again, it didn't belong to them. They returned to the view and stared out. An urge to take to the skies overtook them. Yet, standing on the edge of this terrace was the best they could get.

Lumin came running around the corner and rubbed against their leg. (y/n) picked up the puppy, letting him enjoy the view too. For what seemed like forever, the only noise accompanying them was the rushing wind.

"Kid, you're awake."

They turned around to see Hawks leaning against the doorframe. He wore a different colored V-neck and pants than before. It suited him in the way they hugged his toned body. The large vermilion wings curled around him. He studied them for a second and stepped forwards. 

Are you alright? You're staring?" (y/n) pulled the jacket around them tighter. Their palms turned cold at his intense yet gentle stare. "You know... you can tell me, I'm no-" 

They were cut off by his arms wrapping around them. Their breath caught in their throat, caught off guard by the gesture. 

He pulled them closer, and the wings wrapped around them. "H-Hawks?" Their arms reached around and up, embracing the warm contact.

"I'm sorry... I just-" His arms held them firmly against his body.

His breath shuttered. A slight warm smile pulled on their lips. His breath was so close to their skin, but they did their best to push away the thought. It flooded their mind with different kinds of ideas. Some of them (y/n) never wanted them to see the light of day ever again.

"Is it okay... If I hold you like this... Just for a bit?" Hawks whispered, his tone weaker than before. Their knees went weak at how vulnerable he sounded. Their heart rate shot up, flushing a heat across their face.

Their eyes fluttered closed. "O-okay... I won't go anywhere."

"Thank you." He whispered with the slightest tint of pink across his cheeks. A breeze brushed over them, ruffling the feathers. They buried their face into his shoulder, enjoying his body heat. The slight scent of the cologne lifted off the shirt, almost making them feel at home.

Their thumb moved up and down within his hair, and the other hand stroked his back. Then, after a moment, he pulled away just a bit. A slight frown pulled on their lips. "Are you sure that you're okay?"

It was strange. Hawks was nothing but a stranger three weeks ago. Yet, here they are, holding him as if he were their best friend. He had a particular way of causing them to make rash decisions. He did save their life.

"I should be asking you that..." They laughed nervously. Having him close to them made them anxious. Yet, they didn't want him to let go. (y/n) looked up to meet those amber eyes, only for their gaze to drift to his lips.

One of his hands rose to cup their cheek, smudging the ash across their skin. His fingers were cold against their warm cheeks. His hands dropped, and he stepped back. "I'm sorry I shouldn't have hugged you like that; I was trying-"

(y/n) grabbed the black shirt and yanked him forwards. Before he could ask, his lips met theirs with passion. Their heart thudded so loudly they were sure he could hear it. Hawks' body relaxed, grabbing their shoulders to pull them closer.

Seconds ticked by until they pulled away, too embarrassed to look into his eyes. 

"My turn to apologize. But, I had to get it off my chest." (y/n) watched as his shoes took a step closer. Hawks cupped their jawline, tilting their head to place a soft kiss there. Their fingers curled around his, holding his palm there. The world around them faded into the background. Now, it was just the two of them, alone on the skylines balcony. 

"I don't think... I can love you enough, Babybird."

For the first time in a while, a genuine smile pulled on their lips, and their heart soared.