(Pt. 6) Nightmares

A loud screeching ringing lingered in his ears. Nausea crawled up his stomach to his throat. His body felt heavy as if he had collapsed halfway through a marathon. His body wasn't in excellent shape; it ached right down to his bones.

Slowly his eyes regained focus, trying to see past the blur of oranges shining in from the new day. Shifting his head, Lumin sat in front of his face. The little fluffy tail is wagging back and forth. He stared at him blankly until Lumin licked his nose. The pup wasn't a shiny white but more of a splotchy gray.

Hawks propped himself up with his body protesting to stay down. Lumin licked his bruised hand and bit his sleeve, tugging on it with a whine. A slight sparkle caught his eye, that being shattered crystal.

"Oh shit, my head." He ran a hand through his messy locks. "Lumin?"

The tiny puppy stopped tugging his sleeve and ran towards her limp form. He licked (y/n)'s cheek with a whine.

"Hey. Wake up." He nudged her hand, only to receive no response. "Wait, how did we get here?"

His vision cleared somewhat for him to make out the apartment. Vague flashes strobed in his throbbing head, but he could quite make them out. He shook his head.

Grabbing her shoulders, he gently pulled her into his lap. The large wings curled around her body. Hawks moved a strand of (h/c) hair from two-toned skin.

A soft groan rumbled from her throat, almost making him jump out of his skin. But instead, she reached out and clamped a hand around Lumin, pulling him against her chest. she was staring into space.

He lightly traced her cheek with the back of his finger.

"Kid. You awake now?" A pair of (e/c) eyes blinked with a tiny squeak. It took much more effort to repress a chuckle than he was willing to admit. She sounded like a mouse.

He propped himself on his knee to watch them frantically sit up, scooting backward until her back hit the glass T.V. stand.

"I could have sworn you took off this morning, and I-I was attacked by a fucking mudball monster-"

The pup leaned against her chest, licking a small amount of blood off her cheek. Then, she frantically ran a pair of hands through her hair.

"Then I-I, oh holy shit, how did I get home?" (y/n) yelled. "And Hawks, a random dude I don't know, found me! But, oh dear God, how did he even know? He left!"

"You done?" The edges of his mouth curled into a faint smile.

Her gaze latched onto his form. "You're pretty cute when frantically talking like that."

(y/n) snatched a nearby pillow to smack it in his face.

"Hey! What was that for?" (y/n) stood with a pout and turned away from him. Then, they hit Hawks with a large feather.

"Oh, there's a damn list. I should damn right murder you with that pillow."

Hawks held the pillow in his lap. "Don't think you have enough strength for that, Kid. Neither do I, but I can still fight you off."

(y/n) sighed loudly while holding the bridge of their nose.

"You always searching this tense?" He hummed. Kneeling in front of him, (y/n) flicked his forehead. Hawks tumbled back, hitting his head on the soft couch.

"Only when you're around."

The soft thud on the floor sent a ripple of pain right through his backside and wings. "Yeah yeah. Said the one who jumped out of a fucking window and made me carry him!"