{14}

You didn't know what it was, but you felt the need to stay by Din Djarin every moment. And it was as if he felt the same. You didn't leave one another's side for even a single moment. Din had dropped off Karga, after sharing his grateful thanks. The child was sleeping at this time, and who knows how long the little green bean would be out.

"The New Republic is taking care of the Black Sun. We won't have to worry about them." Din said as he approached you. "And what about Carmen?" You questioned but Din just shook his head. "He disappeared after we left." He said and you let out a sigh of disappointment. A moment of silence ensued, but Din was the first to speak up. "Why did you hide your identity from me?" He questioned and you looked up and raised an eyebrow, "You hid yours from me first." You said and he shook his head. "Was I supposed to know you'd remember me?" He asked with a slight scoff. You furrowed your eyebrows. "You think I'd forget you? I know that what happened to our home planet came so soon at our young age. But Din, I could never forget you." You said, and you cleared your throat as you shyly looked down at your feet.

"I'm sorry." He suddenly said and you looked up at him. The silent and prideful Mandalorian saying sorry? To you?

"I'm sorry I left you, too. I shouldn't have.. I didn't want to. But my people, they needed me." He said and you avoided your gaze from his visor. "I needed you too." You mumbled, but it was loud enough for him to hear you. "I need you, Y/N." He stated. It was so quick, and urgent. You looked back up at him again, shocked.

"I realized, my time away from you, how badly I needed you. And then after seeing you again for the first time in so long, the need grew." He said and you sat silently for a moment before asking, "How will I know you won't leave me again?"

"I won't" His answer was immediate. "They're gone. My people, they left behind the Mandalorian way. After the kid came along, they defended him when he was in trouble. When I was in trouble." He explained. "And now? Is the kid still in trouble?" You questioned, a hint of worry laced in your voice. "He seems to like the trouble if you ask me. But as of now... I'm unsure." Din added.

"Y/N I promise.. to never leave you again for as long as I live. I've promised to return the child to his people. I want to protect him, for as long as I'm alive, and I hope that if you stick around... You could help me." He said, every single word so sincere.

You bit the inside of your cheek, contemplating his promises, and what he was asking of you. But you knew, somehow deep down inside, you already knew the answer.

"Okay Din. I'll stay with you. And help you with the child." You said. Din was silent, but he brought a gloved hand gently up to the side of your face and he caressed it. You leaned into his touch, a man so ruthless, seemingly emotionless. But he was so gentle with you.

"Close your eyes." He whispered. You did as you were told. "Keep them closed. Please." He said, he sounded hesitant. You nodded, keeping your eyes tightly sealed shut. You heard a little bit of a shuffle before a small 'clank' at the side of you. Then you felt his gloved hand return to the side of your face once more. But it seemed to guide you forward this time. You felt the familiar soft pair of lips that he owned press against yours.

You could have sworn you'd never been at such ease in years. His kiss was so soft and gentle, so sweet and prolonged. 

He gently pulled his lips away from yours, but unfortunately you couldn't open your eyes. All you wanted to do was look at him. "You know, the last time you kissed me, not even 24 hours later you left me." You added snarkily. A moment of silence ensued. "Open your eyes." He said softly. But his voice wasn't modulated by the mask. He didn't have it on.

"Din your mask." You reminded. "I don't need to put it on. Not around you." He said. You furrowed your eyebrows in confusion. "My love. You are the one I choose to spend every moment I can with. You are the one I want to keep safe and to do anything for. You're the one I want to smile and laugh with. Cry with, enjoy life with." He said as he gently took your hands with his own gloved ones. You could feel his breath gently fan over you. "Please. Open your eyes." He begged.

You did as he asked. He was absolutely beautiful. His skin a very nice golden tan. His eyes were honey brown. His face was everything like his father but also his own. "H-How.." You merely questioned. Unsure of how to word your sentences. "The code only allows those who are family- those you love deeply. To see the face of the Mandalorain who watches over them. I have chosen you, and the child. This time, I cannot leave you, unless death takes me himself." He informed and you looked at him, so bewildered and intrigued, you didn't know what to say.

"I love you, Din." Were the next, heartfelt and spoken words to fall from your lips. He smiled, the first smile you'd ever seen from him since you were both kids.

"I love you too, Y/N."

Din didn't have to say it for you to know it. You'd already known since the beginning.

THE END