Chapter 20

A/n: Hello everybody! Today is September 1, 2020. CELEBRATE!! Can you believe that it's almost fall? Personally, I'm celebrating because WE JUST HIT 1.1K READS!! I never in a million years thought that this would get so popular, because it originally was a really slow climber. 20 chapters through and we aren't done yet. First, we have to finish Season 2, then I'll be beginning the next book for Feud, Season 3. I've got a lot of plans and hope that you all will be reading the sequel.

Y/n screams and runs over to her brother, who is shaking violently and screaming.

"Will! Will!"

\--/

Y/n clutches Will's hand as the paramedics cut his clothes away as he cries out in agony. 

"Where does it hurt the most, Will?" Y/n asks frantically.

"Everywhere!" He sobs. "Everywhere!"

Bob holds Joyce back as she sobs.

The nurses push Y/n away as the poke and prod him. Joyce wraps her daughter in her arms as they cry together.

\--/

Joyce walks into the meeting with Dr. Owens, leaving Y/n with Mike and Bob. Mike and Will are asleep, and Bob is sitting in the back of the room, keeping an eye on them. 

"I need to make a few phone calls. Can you watch them, please, Bob?"

He nods and smiles. "Of course."

Stepping into Dr. Owen's office, she dials a number on his telephone. After a few rings, Steve's voice sounds out.

"Hello, you've got Steve."

Y/n almost lets out a sob at his voice.

"Oh, my God, Steve!"

"Y/n? Princess? Are you ok?" 

"Will had another episode and we're at the hospital with him."

"Wha-what? Oh my god, Y/n. Are you ok? Is he ok?"

"I'm ok, but Will keeps saying he's burning, but there aren't any marks on him. I don't know what to do, he's in so much pain and Jonathan has been missing for like 2 days! I-"

"Y/n, hey. Sh, sh, sh, sh, sh. It's ok. He's going to be ok. This will all be ok. I promise. Who's with you? Is Joyce with you?"

"Hopper, Mom, Bob, and Mike."

"Ok. I, uh. Do you need me to come over?"

"No, it's ok. You sound like you have somewhere to be."

"Dustin actually kidnapped me."

"Dustin? Henderson? Curls, adorable little smile and pinchable cheeks? That Dustin?"

"I guess we view that kid very differently."

"Alright, well go take care of my kid, Mama Steve."

"Don't call me that."

"Steve?"

"Yeah?" 

"I love you."

Pause.

"I love you, too, Princess."

Y/n is the first to hang up. Quickly dialing Billy's number, he picks up almost immediatly.

"Billy," he grunts. He sounds like he's lifting weights. 

"Billy," Y/n breathes. 

She hears a clatter. "Y/n!"

"Hi, baby."

"Are you ok? Where are you? I'm coming over-"

"I'm ok. I'm ok, Billy, really. Will is having a really bad episode and so we're at the hospital."

"The hospital?! Jesus Christ."

"I just wanted to call you and tell you that I'm safe."

"Are you sure? I can come over."

"Billy, it's ok. I'll call you if anything else happens."

"All right, doll. You call me when you need me, ok?"

"Ok, baby."

"I love you," he begins to say, but the line is already dead.

Y/n hears Joyce yelling in the other room. "Can a single person in this room tell me what is wrong with my boy? What is wrong with my boy?!

The door slams and Y/n quickly slips into Will's room. 

Owens is waiting for her. "Y/n? There's something I'd like you to see."

She follows him out and he hands her a hazmat suit. "You're going to need this."

\--/

Stepping into the elevator, she spots Hopper. "Hey."

"Hi, kid."

"You've looked better," she says.

"I could say the same for you," he retorts.

Owen's steps onto the elevator as well and begins his frightening tour. "All living organisms develop defense mechanisms to attack. They adapt. They find some way to survive."

The elevator drops more and more until the small tunnel opens up into a huge underground pocket. A large pulsating tear flashes them. 

"Oh, my god," Hopper mutters.

They keep dropping until they hit something that looks all too familiar. 

The tunnels that resemble the Upside Down. "It's been spreading," Owen says. "Growing beneath us like some cancer."

"Why aren't you burning it?" Hopper asks. 

"There's a complication," Owen responds.

"It's Will, isn't it?"

"What?" Hopper and Owen say simultaneously. 

"Will is the complication. He's connected to the tunnels somehow isn't he? It's like he's... possessed, or something? Anytime the tunnels are harmed, so is he. He's constantly complaining about the temperature and how cold he wants it, and what with the burning. It's got to be linked to my brother."

Hopper's jaw drops and Owen's chuckles. "Your very clever, aren't you? You're going to do well in life, Ms. Byers."