Chapter 20

Scarred, bloodied, and bruised, Raven fought past all her other injuries and all of the bleeding to get her arm from out of the monsters mouth. She was way beyond how gross it was to shove her fingers into those ugly, mutated, frothy lips.

That's right, there was froth - froth everywhere. Saliva, froth, bits, parts, limbs, cooked bits, parts, blood and more guts and froth, and whatever else those things were made of. Glass and lab equipment sliced at odd angles lay everywhere. Most of them still red hot. Smoke from the singes and burns rose from practically everything in the room; the smell was ... unanticipated. What once seemed like a very large room now felt like a very small one littered with all the parts and gooey bits of what was formerly the lab and its experimental creatures.

Covered in gashes, slashes, and her own blood, Raven clawed over the broken glass and debris. Too exhausted to stand, she crawled toward an empty space near the wall. She could hear WarFairy crying out in pain, as she emerged from under the monster that last attacked her. She too was covered in a lot of her own blood.

"R-Rae?"

Raven barely let out the words, "Help. Over here."

Somehow WarFairy was able to stay on her feet and drag Raven the rest of the way.

"Well, we found the bloody labs, didn't we?"

"Stay with me Rae."

Both were barely able to speak or hear each other. The squeaky noises WarFairy's boots let out over the bloody floor below was disheartening as things started going dark for Raven.

"We have to stop all the bleeding. Quickly Rae, where's the MP?"

Raven pointed to it at her belt. In an instant, the weight of it disappeared from its holster.

"Shit! There is almost nothing left. We're looking at one maybe two drops. That couldn't stop a period let alone all this blood we're losing."

"You take it and ... finish the job. Shut down the barrier and ... get in contact with The Phoenix."

"Wah? That thing floating in space? What good will it--"

"You contact it, and then it contacts Mike instantly anywhere in the world. Get rescue."

"And chance you dying on me, while I'm doing all that? I'm not going to leave you here to bleed out. Here's the real plan. We each take a drop, and find some goddamn medical supplies! This is a fucking lab for Christ's sake. Look! Right over there. In that corner."

Barely able to keep her eyes open Raven could see a red cross symbol across a large crate.

WarFairy forced a drop on Raven. With a smudge of MP on her finger, just as Ravens lips parted for a breath, WarFairy shoved her thumb in.

A faint humming noise stirred in her mind, starting slow and then ramping up until the lights were back on and Raven could easily open her eyes again.

Raven came back with a clear thought in her mind. "We can't let these things get loose in the world. We have to destroy this whole operation."

WarFairy dragged the large crate off the counter with one hand; the other arm had two needler spikes lodged into them. "Yeah but first, we get these spikes out, huh? What d'yah say?"

"Mm-mm. Just leave them in. There's too many. Haww bloody fuck. How can you stand it?"

WarFairy placed the crate beside her and promptly popped it open. "I can't. But ever since I came to this island...."

"You're getting stronger. I can sense it." Raven tested the spike that had pierced her left hip. "Ssshit."

With haste, WarFairy used her good hand to pull out all the rolls, bandages and disinfectants she could. "I can feel it too."