Long Distance Running And Other Tribulations

Start from the beginning

"What about you, Y/n?" he said angrily.

"Yes, you don't agree with him, do you?" Kurapika added.

She laughed gleefully.

"You don't know that... I'm a mystery."

Kurapika placed a hand on his hip and huffed.

"Anyway, I don't want to get in an argument..." Y/n said. She leaned into her chair and crossed her arms. Leorio swatted in her direction.

"Arghh, well nevermind you! I'm right okay, Gon?! You can't do anything without money. With enough cash, you'd live so comfortably!"

Y/n's brow furrowed.

"Hunters come in all shapes and sizes, but what they have in common is the fact their job is to maintain order in both society and nature. Hunters have many important responsibilities, like catching crooks, apprehending rogue Hunters, and preserving artifacts like Y/n wants to do."

He eyed Y/n, whose goal was exactly that. A small smile grew on her face as she traced the swirls on the wooden table with her finger. She tried to stay out of it, keeping a straight poker face.

"So you're doing it for revenge, what's that gonna get you?! Of the top richest people, Hunters are always more than 50% of the people on the list!"

Y/n growled quietly, then slammed a palm on the table. "Neither of those reasons! Hunters become hunters to travel the world! To discover new things! Meet new people! You only live once, so have a little fun. Explore. Aside from my tribe's artifacts, that's what I wanna do, if I may humbly add. Besides, it's what your dad did isn't it Gon? Makes sense you'd want to do it for that reason too!"

"Fame and Fortune!"

"Conviction and profound knowledge!"

"Self-discovery and adventure!"

"Gon! Which one of us is right? What kind of hunter will you be?" they cried in unison.

Gon stammered nervously.

Y/n's eyes widened and she patted herself off, embarrassed. She was done arguing.

She sighed.

"We're all equally right. Just like during the quiz, there's no right answer.  You do what makes you happy, Gon. Don't listen to us. Our motivations get the better of us, that's all."

Gon considered this. Kurapika and Leorio looked at each other and loosened their stiffened postures.

"Eh, yes. I suppose you will search for your own path," Kurapika added.

"Yeah, it really is up to you. But if you had to choose it'd, of course, be better if you tried to get the most money."

Kurapika scowled at him and they nearly began arguing again when the elevator door opened.

"Oh! We're here!" Gon said, relieved.

The four exited into a large, dingy underground tunnel.

"Well isn't this something," Y/n said, staring at their competition.

A bunch of tough-looking examinees glared at them. Grown men and women, of all different shapes and sizes scattered throughout the entrance of the tunnel.

"Is it just me or is the vibe in here pretty grim?"

"It's not just you," Y/n whispered.

"It seems only the most seasoned applicants make it this far," Kurapika said.