Shape Shifter Valley

Start bij het begin

Suddenly, a tan-skinned man approached from behind.

"Excuse me, ladies, why don't you hurry it up?"

"Who the hell are you?" Leorio asked.

"So he's the one who's been stalking us," Y/n wondered aloud.

"Yeah, he's been following us ever since we left the port," Gon added.

"Why don't I go first?" The man asked.

"Should let him go first to see what kind of question she'll ask?" Leorio inquired.

"Sure, I'm okay with that!"

"M'kay."

"No objections here."

The old woman spoke, "A group of villains has kidnapped your mother and lover, which do you save?"

"Easy: my mom. I can find another lover, but you never replace your mom." He said.

"You may pass," the woman said.

"Seriously?" Leorio said.

"Wha- just like that?" Y/n stammered.

"Guess the trick is saying what she wants to hear," the man said and trotted off.

"What the hell! That doesn't make any sense," Leorio complained. "Argh, I'm sick of this, I'm going to go find my own way, come on, Y/n!" He said.

Y/n only looked up. She wasn't going anywhere. Gon meditated, crossing his arms.

"If you leave you're disqualified."

"That's nuts! There's no right answer to that and you know it!"

Kurapika's eyes widened as he turned to Leorio and Y/n, but was cut off by the woman.

"Enough! You take the quiz now, take it or leave it. If your son and daughter are kidnapped which do you save?"

Leorio growled and began to mess around with some street rubble.

Y/n lowered to crouch in her feet, placing her hand on her chin. She didn't know what to do or how to answer. The gender of the child didn't matter, and so, there was absolutely no right answer, just like Leorio had said. Y/n's eyes widened. She shot Kurapika a knowing glance. He nodded in response. The correct answer... was silence.

"Your time is over," she said finally.

Leorio suddenly jumped towards her, stick in hand, ready to beat the old woman.

"Leorio!" Y/n cried incredulously, but Kurapika had already stopped him, blocking him with his wooden pair of swords.

"Out of my way!"

"Stop it! Can't you see we've already passed?!" He yelled.

Leorio took a step back.

Kurapika continued.

"Our only choice was to stay silent since, as you said it yourself: there's no right answer."

"But the other guy passed!"

"She never said he was correct," Kurapika said.

"Which means... that wasn't the right way was it?" Y/n asked.

"That is correct," she said, opening a side door. "This is. The couple who lives under the tree will guide you to the exam site."

Leorio was taken aback.

"I hope you'll forgive me for being so rude," he told the woman.

"And for almost beating her," y/n muttered.