1 × Rocky Start

"Some of them want to use you,Some of them want to get used by you,Some of them want to abuse you,Some of them want to be abused

Some of them want to get used by you,
Some of them want to abuse you,
Some of them want to be abused."

Sweet Dreams - Eurythmics

× × × ×

Daya

× × × ×

A soft hum of classical music played throughout the immaculate mansion as party guests arrived on the scene dressed to impress. I recognized the composer as Debussy, Clair de Lune, the soothing symphony one I filed away with my study and meditation music back at the compound.

We were currently on mission in France in an expensive mansion on a hillside, waiting for the man who bombarded the news lately: Rumlow.

We got word that he wanted to crash this masquerade charity event for a very special and weaponizable item that sat within the auctions inventory.

The item had an unknown origin and didn't seem like much to the people trying to sell it for charity, but to Rumlow it was an asset. It was an easy grab and he wanted it for redistribution.

It was the perfect bait as Steve, Sam, Nat, Wanda, Jake and I waited patiently to pounce.

For Wanda, Jake and I, it was our first official Avenger field mission since Ultron. And considering this was our first mission, I felt a bit nervous when we arrived.

Between Jake and I, this mission was like taking a trip down memory lane as muscle for Kane. All of the covert missions we had to pull off under Kane's control made this mission feel like old times. Old, shameful, times more like it.

As for Wanda, I couldn't say how she felt, but I knew there must have been some unease from her as well. She and I did well in training with our powers, but I knew she didn't feel fully comfortable with being in the public eye.

Regardless of our minor fears, we were ready for Rumlow and his squad of terrorists. The plan involved the boys to remain hidden in the nightly shadows on the rooftop to take point on all the exterior entrances and exits. Us ladies went into reconnaissance mode dressed in the finest things we could purchase with Tony's money and watched the interior. We were awaiting any unwanted guests that could make a scene.

We already snuck the special auction item out safely, so all we had to do was wait for Rumlow to show up and we could take him down. It was the perfect surprise attack.

That being said, I watched from my position at the top of the stairs in the foyer as each guest stepped out of their overly priced car or limousine, keeping my eyes peeled for the star of the evening. The sight was one to behold since everyone looked like Kings and Queens, and they were treated like such by the event staff surrounding them.