A phone call with Brielle Langford

"Brie, I need to talk to you before I meet your family." Sirius sighed into the phone on his way home from his meeting with Jason and Remus.

"Now is really not a good time Sirius." Brielle's response was muffled like she was holding the phone between her ear and shoulder and the mic wasn't quite lined up with her mouth.

"Will you have a better time tonight?"

Brie sighs, "can you just come early tomorrow? Like 10? We can talk then."

"I really think this is something we should do before-"

"Sirius. I have been nothing but patient with you. And I get that there was an emergency or whatever and.. and that's something I really like about you. You care so deeply and you're so loyal- to me, to your friends. But I need you to let me have tonight with my parents. It's a tradition."

"Brie.."

"Sirius, I know I shouldn't say this over the phone and maybe it's too soon to say it at all, but Sirius.."

"Brie, don't-"

"Sirius I love you."

Sirius heard the smile in her voice ever over the phone. It made is stomach churn.

"Hello?"

Sirius was still silent on his end.

"Sirius can you hear me? Hello? Must have lost him."

Sirius hung up before he said anything else.

The rest of his long drive home was filled with nothing but white knuckles on the steering wheel and Sirius' breathing in the quiet cab. He didn't even realize that the radio wasn't on.

This was quite honestly the worst thing that could have happened today.

Maybe the decision he made earlier wasn't so final.