twenty-four.

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR:STOP THE WORLD, DON'T YOU WANNA GET OFF WITH ME?

STOP THE WORLD, DON'T YOU WANNA GET OFF WITH ME?

❖ ❖ ❖

"You ready for this?"

"Why do people keep asking me that?" Spencer quips, before he steps forward and knocks on the grandiose oak door, painted deep blue, of Edelstein's New York town house. It's a typical brownstone: three stories tall, with aged steps leading to its doorway and gargoyles at the entrance.

"I think you know why," Emily says, her body facing the unopened door but her head turned to look across at him. JJ's on Nina-Watch (which Spencer is glad for because he doesn't want some garbage emotional chit chat), hence why Emily is the one accompanying him to finally figure out Edelstein.

But it appears he's about to get one anyway, even if it's with Emily. Which makes him scoff as he flicks his eyes momentarily across to her.

She grins wryly, like she'd expected that response, and turns her face away. "Y'know, with Doyle, I felt the same thing. An...attachment, despite everything."

Spencer appreciates her attempt to understand him, he really does. It's the most generous anyone has been with his feelings so far -- which he thinks is ridiculous, as he was kidnapped three days ago and that should warrant him at least some leeway. But now, after three days of judgement from his team, he knows the patience and understanding is mostly out of pity, rather than a place of truth, which layers his tongue in bitter words that leave a nasty taste in his mouth.

"Careful there," he murmurs. "Hotch might start to doubt your sanity the way he's doubting mine."

"Hotch started doubting my sanity a long while ago," Emily remarks, and he knows the statement is mostly an attempt to cheer him up, but it really isn't that far from the truth. "Besides, he's one to talk."

At that moment, the latch clicks, silencing them, and then a split second later the door swings easily open on a woman -- which isn't surprising, as neither of the agents had been expecting Edelstein to answer his own door. They'd been expecting a security guard or something, but it appears to be a maid.

Smiling, they flash their badges.

She blanches. "I'll go get someone."

"Oh, no, there's no need for that, ma'am--" Emily tries, because they both know if someone else -- someone important -- gets involved, they won't be getting inside today or any other day. But the woman, shutting the door quickly, is already gone, leaving them out in the cold again. Huffing, Emily continues, like the maid had never opened the door in the first place, "They're killers, Reid. You can't change that."