2. the feast

Seated in the Great Hall, between Millicent and Theodore, Harry applauded politely as the last student was sorted into Slytherin. It was always good to see first years joining his house.

He couldn't help but remember being that young. Small and terrified, Harry had sat under the Hat before his brother, hearing the whispers about him. Wondering if he was related to the Ryan Potter. When the sorting had told him that he would be best suited to Slytherin, that his thirst to prove himself and quiet cunning was perfect for that house, he had almost panicked.

His father wouldn't be pleased if he was in the house of serpents.

But his desperate thoughts had been ignored - probably, he thought now, because he had no objection to Slytherin himself, only his father's opinion mattered to him.

Looking back, it was the best thing that had ever happened to him. He could only imagine what Gryffindor would be like. Always Ryan's brother, never himself. Expected to be just another clone of James. Not ever allowed to grow into his own.

He was brought back to the present when the Headmaster stood, getting the attention of the school. Harry listened intently, even though his opinion on him was... mixed. Complicated.

"Welcome, welcome to another years at Hogwarts!" Dumbledore said, spreading his arms wide as if to embrace them all. "Before our excellent feast begins, I would like to welcome the newest member of our faculty, Professor Tiberius Rowle, who will be teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts."

There was applause from the students, though after having to welcome a new Defense Professor each year, it was beginning to get a little bit lukewarm. Harry noticed that Slytherin's applause was the most enthusiastic, and wondered if more people had heard about Rowle's reputation, or friendship with Snape. Or it could be his ancestry they were enthusiastic about - Rowle was an old pureblood family.

Professor Rowle stood, and gave a little bow. Harry noticed he was quite good looking - his blond hair was tousled artfully, and his aristocratic face was one that drew the eye. Harry quickly looked away from their new professor, glancing at his head of house. Everyone knew that Snape wanted the Defense job, and he had never been quite friendly with their Defense teachers, if Professor Snape could be said to be friendly with anyone. But, unlike previous years, he wasn't glaring at Rowle. In fact, he looked quite neutral.

Before Harry could contemplate this further, Professor Dumbledore spoke again.

"I would also like to welcome Professor Grubbly-Plank to our ranks, who will be taking over Care of Magical Creatures until Professor Hagrid returns from his sabbatical."

This new didn't particularly effect Harry, as he didn't take Care. But Draco did, and he looked quite pleased at this news. Malfoy had never been fond of Hagrid, especially after the incident with the Hippogriff in their third year.

Harry looked over to the Gryffindor table, where Ryan, Weasley, and Granger were all looking concerned. He knew they were on friendly terms with the groundskeeper, and they all took Care of Magical Creatures.

He wondered vaguely if they knew where Hagrid had gone, before dismissing the thought. He didn't particularly care, after all.

Dumbledore went on for a bit longer, but nothing nearly as exciting as their new professors was announced. Still, Harry stared up at the Headmaster. He was used to Dumbledore visiting Potter manor fairly often to speak with his father, and sometimes his brother. He had never been cruel to Harry - indeed, when he spoke to him at all he was quite kind. But he always got the impression that Dumbledore felt rather sorry for him.

Harry hated it. As much as he respected their headmaster's magical and political power, he couldn't stand the way the man pitied him. Not to mention his preference for Gryffindor House.