Chapter 2: A Brief Detour

Start from the beginning

“That’s so nice of you, dear.” Joanne said when she joined me at the kitchen table, a cup of tea already placed in her spot. “I should give you a raise, if only for the way you take good care of me.”

“You know I’d be here every single day if I was allowed to, and not only on Saturdays. Even if you didn’t pay me, I’d still come help you out.”

Joanne thanked me with a happy grin.

“So, what do you want me to do today?” I asked, eager to get to work. I had been sitting at home, doing nothing, for three long days. Mom and Dad decided that because I came home late last Tuesday, I wasn’t allowed to leave the house for the rest of the week. I was told to come home straight after school; I couldn’t even stop by Joanne on the way home from school, because then I’d be grounded for another week.

“You’re one bundle of energy, aren’t you?” Joanne chuckled. “Why don’t you unpack those boxes they delivered yesterday? I think they’re our new cherry pit heat pillows. I have made some price tags for them; you should find them in the bottom drawer at the register.While you’re doing that, I’ll go over the books. I haven’t had the time to do it this week. Are you going to be okay on your own?”

I nodded. “If I need help with any of the costumers, I’ll come get you.”

An hour before closing time, Joanne called me to the back room. Not many costumers faced the poor weather, except for Rachel earlier that day and three more people, which made it a slow day in the shop. Joanne’s head had been buried in numbers the entire afternoon, but when I entered the room in the back, I found her standing near the window. She had her gaze fixed on the trees that formed the barrier with the woods, but when I glanced in the same direction, I couldn’t see what could have caught her attention.

“Yes?” My voice pulled her back from her thoughts, and she smiled.

“How about we close up a little sooner today? I’m done with the books and I don’t think we should expect any more people. The rain and wind have picked up since you arrived; it’s only going to get worse.”

“Yeah,” I replied. “It doesn’t look like the sky is going to clear up anytime soon. .”

Joanne walked back to the table and piled up her notebooks. “Did you finish with the stock?”

I nodded. “It’s all done. We’re running low on that lavender ointment, though. We don’t have any spare left.”

“That’s alright, dear. I have ordered a batch earlier this week. Now, why don’t you lock up my shop and I’ll do the same back here.”

I nodded and did as she asked. After I turned off all the lights and put the envelope that held the money from the cash register in the safe, I went to the back room to retrieve my jacket.

“Is there anything else you want me to do?” I asked Joanne when I was ready to go.

“No, dear. Let’s get out of here.”

The moment we stepped through the door, we were met by a strong gust of chilly air. My jacket was still warm to the touch from hanging near the fireplace all day, but the rain and the cold stung my cheeks. I put one hand in the pocket of my jacket to keep warm, while I offered my free arm to Joanne. “Let me walk you home.”

“You’re too nice for your own good,” she spoke while linking her arm through mine. “You really don’t have to go out of your way like that, just for me.”

“Really,” I smiled. “It’s no trouble at all. Plus, with all the sugar you keep feeding me, I can use the extra exercise.”

Joanne laughed wholeheartedly. “Don’t blame it on me. I only hand you the things you like, that doesn’t mean you have to eat it. That decision is entirely up to you.”