Zuko helped her stand up.

Suki kissed her grandfather's cheek, leaving a red smudge from her make up.

"Sweet dreams, Suki," Zuko said, watching the girl head to the gates, where she met her mother and grandmother, Fire Lady Mai.

Mai took Suki's hand and they disappeared into the gates as the eight year old rubbed her now watering eyes.

Izumi looked at her father, who remained on the stairs.

The setting sun was in perfect alignment with his unmoving form, giving him a golden outline.

Izumi grabbed the skirt of her dress and lifted it a bit so she wouldn't trip as she walked to her father.

She knelt down on the stone platform and leaned forward, wrapping her arm's around Zuko's shoulders and placing her chin into the crook of his shoulder.

Zuko grabbed her arm gently, brushing his thumb over her arm.

"Dad...It's been weeks," Izumi said. "You come and sit out here every day."

"I know...I just, can't believe he'd do this," Zuko said quietly.

Izumi touched her cheek to her father's, "It's not like that, you know he didn't do this to hurt us."

"I know, but it still hurts," Zuko said. "That boy was connected to my hip, every chance there was he'd be with me even if it was for a mere minute. And now..."

"I know," Izumi sighed, rubbing the man's shoulders. "Your little shadow ran off into the night."

"He's not a boy anymore," Zuko sighed. "It feels like just yesterday he was begging me to teach him Pai Sho."

Izumi nodded with a giggle, "All that comes to mind for me is him screaming 'Dagin! Dagin!' at Grandfather."

Zuko chuckled, remembering and thinking of the toddler's shrill voice as he bounced on his toes, reaching up to the heavy set man with a wide smile.

Izumi smiled faintly, "Grandfather Iroh loved him so much."

Zuko smiled weakly, "He really did."

"He took the tile with him," Izumi said.

Zuko nodded, "At least then we know Uncle is watching over him."

Izumi nodded.

Zuko closed his eyes, lowering his head, "Three weeks, if they're sticking to the usual set up; they should be reaching the Earth Kingdom soon."

"Tomorrow," Izumi nodded. "At least, that's what Bumi said."

Zuko nodded weakly.

Izumi touched her forehead to Zuko's temple.

"He'll be okay Dad," She assured. "This is a very safe time. It's nothing like when you were growing up."

"I'm not worried, I know he can hold his own," Zuko responded, watching as the sun finally disappeared. "We'd be sitting in the garden playing Pai Sho right now if he was here."

Izumi nodded, "I'm sure he misses it too."

Zuko sighed, watching the waves in the distance.

Izumi stared off with him.

Zuko looked at the scroll in his hands.

"You can go put Suki to bed," Zuko said. "I'll be fine."

Izumi nodded faintly. She kissed his cheek once more before standing up and walking to the gates.

Zuko waited a moment before unrolling the scroll and reading it for the hundredth time this day:

To Grandfather,

I'm sorry you have to find out this way. I'm leaving for the United Forces.
I have thought over this decision for a long time and I believe it is the right choice.
There is nothing you have done to cause my departure, this is completely my decision.
I wish to explore and protect this beautiful world you have passed down to me.
You were my greatest role model. And not only were you my grandfather, but you were also my best friend.
I want to protect you, so that's what I'm doing.
I love you.

Your Devoted Grandson
- Iroh

A drop of water splashed onto the bottom of the paper.

Zuko used his sleeve to wipe away the tears falling from his eyes.

He pushed his graying hair over his shoulders and returned his attention to the ocean.

"Please watch over him Uncle," Zuko said quietly. "Like you did for me."

He held the scroll in both hands, "Spirits...please let this soldier boy come marching home."