It took them fifteen minutes to get there even though the traffic was light, even by Lima standards, and she parallel parked because the only space on the block was between two older cars. Judy's eyes were slammed shut the entire time and she practically clawed herself out of the car once it was off. Quinn's mouth quirked into a grin as she put her shoe on and then got out to stand by her mother on the side walk. Judy was brushing her dress out even though there weren't any wrinkles on her soft teal dress and white cardigan.

Gretchen's wasn't very crowded, probably because of the early hour. There were two employees behind the counter, talking casually and drinking coffee when they saw them come in. The young man, dressed in a green dress shirt and white jeans, smiled brightly at them. His voice was high, but pleasant, and one of his hips was pressed against the countertop, "Mrs. Fabray, nice to see you. Gretchen's in the back. Would you like me to take you?"

Her mother smiled, but it was thin and frosty, "No thank you. I can find it myself."

His polite smile drooped and he replied, "Of course. Have a lovely day."

Quinn tried to smile, but it came out more like a grimace. As they headed through the shop, her mother murmured, "Never bring one of those home. I'm not letting it past the front door."

She didn't ask any dumb questions about what an 'it' was and didn't say that Santana and Brittany had been there before, in her room, on her bed. Her mother had never hit her, but she'd get the piss slapped out of her for that impudence. Gretchen was in the back room, just as the man had said, and hugged Judy gently to her when she saw her, "Judy, I haven't seen you in years! How've you been?"

Her mother smiled into the embrace, murmuring something back. It was a softer, more genuine smile than any she'd seen her give before, even when she'd told her about being the head cheerleader or the first date she'd gone on ever, with Finn. Quinn felt a little lost and confused and cleared her throat. Her mother let go quickly, like she was a cat who'd had their tail stepped on. Gretchen's eyes turned to her and were that much colder before she smiled. It was a professional smile, not the softness of flannel pajamas as she'd given her mother, and she said, "Oh, you must be Quinn. You look just like your mother, but have your father's eyes."

Quinn smiled back and tucked her hands behind her to keep from fidgeting as she replied, "Thank you."

Her mother cleared her throat, "Well, we're here to get her a dress for the Chastity Ball. As you know, I'm not much of a seamstress and we came here for Frances' as well."

"Your spitting image," Gretchen smiled. If it was possible, her smile was even chillier than before. After that, she was made to stand on a stool and her mother hovered as the woman took her measurements and then held swatches of fabric and color against her skin.

The seamstress said absent-mindedly, "She'd look very good in blue. Maybe tulle sleeves as well."

Her mother's voice was filled with disbelief, "For the Chastity Ball?"

Gretchen replied absentmindedly, "No, of course not. It would be for her junior prom and something very airy, nothing to retract from her features or her eyes."

Her mother grudgingly nodded, "She does look nice in blue. But for the Chastity Ball?"

"White," She answered. "What other color would do?"

The two women discussed what the gown would look like after Gretchen was finished and Quinn shifted from foot to foot out of boredom. She had a car and still couldn't get away. Judy glanced at her and said, "Why don't you leave me the car and go on home? I still have some grocery shopping to do."