Chapter Two

Chance grew to love St. Louis. At first, he was weary of the city. He grew up in New York City and spent a year at college in Los Angeles. He went from coast to coast and somehow wound up in the middle. He was sure that the reason he loved St. Louis so much was because of the people he met there. He remembered how scared he was when he first arrived. He was called up at the beginning of the season from the minors. He landed into the shortstop position and he never went back down. The first friend he made in the city was Jameson Breeze.

Jameson seemed to take nothing seriously and was the biggest jokester. He was the kind of friend that Chance needed. After being nothing but determined and slaving over the game, he remembered how much fun it was. He started playing at his best and he started making friends with more of the team. A year passed before he knew it and then the Redbirds were one of the most talked about teams in the league. All that talk was thanks to an eighteen-year-old rookie fresh out of high school.

Jackson Breeze ended up on the same team as his older brother by chance, but he earned every bit of his place there. He had more confidence than anyone ever expected out a kid, but he had all the talent to back it up. It was the three of them for the longest time. Chance was always hanging out with the Breeze brothers. The day came where Jameson was traded though and ever since then it's just been Chance and Jack.

Chance was never jealous of Jack's spotlight. He never felt the need to be the star of the team and he was content with just being apart of the team. He was jealous of Jack now though. Not in regard to baseball or his popularity. He was jealous that Jack had his personal life all together. Chance always figured that he would have found the right girl by now. He thought he would be settled down and holding his own baby. Instead, he was driving across St. Louis to see Jack's new baby.

He hadn't met the little girl yet, but he already owed her a thank you. She was the reason Jack had to high tail it out of Chicago and left second base open for Chance to cover in his absence. Chance was happy for his friend and he was excited to see the baby. Jack was like a brother to him by now. They were with each other through the good and the bad times. Thankfully it was one of the good times.

Chance parked his truck in the driveway of the huge house. He exited the vehicle and looked up at the building. It was freshly built and Chance had visited a few times already. He stuck his hands in the pockets of his blue jeans and walked up to the front door of the house. He knocked on the door and slipped into home after no response came. He pulled his phone out of his back pocket and reread over his messages with Jack.

Chance was surprised he hadn't run into Jack or his wife, Tara. He wandered up the stairs by himself. He knew where the baby's room was. He helped paint the walls yellow months ago. Jack surprised Tara with the completed nursery before the baby was born. Tara put the finishing touches on it by painting cartoon animals on the walls. Chance remembered what the room looked like, but the room hadn't belonged to anyone when he was last in it.

The baby should have been what caught Chance's eyes when he walked in. He should have been amazed by the new life that had been brought into the world. Yet, it was the person holding that baby in the rocking chair that had his breathe caught in his throat. Chance stood in the nursery doorway and he pressed his lips in a straight line.

Lacey Mitchell looked up from the sleeping face of the baby to look at Chance. Her eyes seemed light up at first and then calm took over them. Her blonde hair fell far beyond her shoulders in waves. She looked down at the baby again with a smile on her lips.

Chance shook his head at her.

Lacey's eyes glanced up at him before she rose to her feet. She walked carefully over to the wooden crib against the wall and laid the baby down in it. She laid her hands on the side of the crib for a moment while she made sure the child stayed asleep. Then she turned around to look at Chance. There was a sly smile on her face as she walked towards him. Chance took a few steps back as Lacey stepped out with the room and closed the door.