25. It Involves A Bikini

Start from the beginning

He moves past me and sits next to me, "No names were given or descriptions?" He asks, curiously opening a file cabinet.

"No. No one in particular." I mutter as a classified file is placed in front of me.

He explains, "On the news, they gave out information regarding Maven Northern's former wife, Charlize Northern, who passed away of breast cancer seven years ago. She used to attend the academy herself." He explains that I keep my posture and face composed, stoic, and unrecognized.

I give him a confused glance, "I don't understand. Are you saying this was a suicide? His wife's passing made him depressed, causing him to end his life."

"We found a confession in a diary of his. The case will be officially ruled off by tomorrow evening. Maven Northern was a paranoid addict, Melanie. Getting in touch with him was dangerous and, quite frankly, irresponsible. We have reasonable evidence to conclude Maven Northern was a depressed addict who had tried everything he could to make the Academy his wife attended look to be the ones to blame for her cancer. He blamed Professor Forthright because Forthright was her mental councellor who wasn't able to detect that she was struggling with the cause of her cancer and keep moving with her studies. The case has been ruled a suicide." He explains to me, pointing in at the papers of said confession and a graphic image of where Maven lies dead, a bullet wound to the head and a pen in his...right hand, held over the diary, with the confession on top.

I narrow my eyes. Maven was left-handed...I look to Detective Johnson, "Who was the first to see his body?" I ask him.

He blinks, "Agent Sinclair, who had gotten a report from Maven's employer, found the body. Considering he had spoken to you, you would know Agent Sinclair the night of your first meeting with Maven. You were wearing a revealing black dress, Ms. Myers. He offered to buy you a drink. Agent Sinclair has already left his statement too." He explains to me.

Internally, my eyes widen. The only male who tried to buy me a drink was...Brandon, "Is Agent Sinclair married?" I ask him.

Detective Johnson chuckles lightly, "No, that was his cover, Ms. Myers." I blink in shock, leaning back in the chair slowly.

He sighs, "Now that we've established how you knew Maven, I'd like you to rest assured, that we are still looking into your investigations regarding the incidents at the school. We know there is to be a ball at the Academy this Friday. In just two days, our security team will be planted con-figuratively on site to ensure your and the student's safety if any more incidents arise." He explains, gesturing me to stand.

I furrow my eyebrows, "Good to know. I just have one more question regarding our first meeting at the school; when Professor Forthright supplied you with confidential information, you commented on it not being his first time. Does that mean that any confidential thoughts shared with Professor Forthright and every student at the Academy can be legally supplied to you? Any student or teacher was in danger if the information wasn't supplied." My question was long, but he knew exactly what I spoke of. I could see it in his eyes, which darkened a tone too deep not to know anything.

"Not with me. Please, have a good evening, Melanie." He says, opening the door. He lied, that much was obvious. I stepped out before turning to him.

"I'm sorry, it's a long drive back, and I've got to use the ladies. Do you mind pointing me in the right direction?" I ask, all lady-like.

His eyebrows go up, "Oh, yes, of course. I'll show you the way. Our closest is, unfortunately, downstairs with the male and female lockers." He explains to me, moving around a few sets of desks where other agents are gathering files and closing them in cabinets.