Seven | Demise

++ A perfect role model ++

“Heto, Miss ganda.”

Beaming widely, I got the pink cotton candy from the old, wrinkly vendor and ate a pinch of its sticky fiber. It was my third stick of the cloud-like delicacy but I could never get used to its popping sweet taste.

This is heaven on a stick! I wish I can meet the human behind this wonderful creation. He or she deserves a token of appreciation. A huge statue, perhaps?

While having the time of my life, my eyes wandered around until it stopped on the spot where Fidiel and Noam was standing. They were out of my earshot but I can tell that they're discussing something serious.

I wonder what could it be?

Well, I actually don't wanna pry. I just can't help but keep on glancing at them from time to time. And every time I look at Noam's face from the distance, his expression was changing from curious, to dumbfounded, to grim and some unfamiliar ones that I find hard to comprehend. His thick eyebrows seems like they were forever knitted. Mabibilang lang yata sa daliri ang pagkakataong magkahiwalay ang dalawa niyang kilay.

Bumaba ang tingin ko sa dibdib ni Noam. Tanaw na tanaw ko pa ang nasunog na bahagi ng kaniyang damit na sumisilip mula sa likod ng leather jacket. And under that burnt cloth is a symbol that I already own him, although it was by the presence of force.

But still, I don't get it.

I've been thinking for a little while now about that serious talk with Noam before he agreed to be my human guide. Sure we finally made the deal and he already have my emblem tattooed on his skin, but the fact that he's just doing it for the sake of that Dabria kid still floats around in my mind.

What's so special about that kid anyway?

The last time I check in Fidiel's files, Noam is a merciless assassin. Ang dami niyang pinatay. I can even feel my eyes twinkling as I watch the number of his kills in two digits.

“Whoa! That mortal does sure reeks of blood in his hands,” I commented.

I was back inside the cafe (after that dang Noam ran away), but now with Fidiel sitting across me. Of course humans can't see him so we settled on the farthest corner away from everyone's earshot. Like, Noam once keep on insisting that I am crazy. I don't want others to prove that right if I let them see me talking to the air.

“Noam Evrard had his first kill when he was five. He began his assassination escapades since then but quit at the age of 23.”

I scrolled at Noam's information in Fidiel's Ipad.

Yup. The soul reaping industry is adapting to the latest technologies for convenience of the job. Daddy suggested it during the late 20th century (according to Fidiel). Grim reapers have the profiles of all humans and their schedules of death compiled in files in their Ipads now. They also developed a sense of fashion. Lahat ng nakikita kong mga grim reapers ay nakasuot na ng black tuxedo, except (of course) for Fidiel. He could never let go of his stupid trench coat.

Though I feel like tuxedos are too tacky. It's too stiff— like Fidiel.

“Anyway, what's the threat you're talking about?” I asked with arched eyebrows.

Bahagyang dumukwang si Fidiel para ilipat sa kabilang file ang nasa screen. A picture of a smiling girl in pigtails came into view. Her mouth was stretched so wide, her eyes squinting with joy.

I scrolled down to read the kid's profile but Fidiel audibly told me the information otherwise.

“That's Dabria. Currently five years old but was scheduled to die two years ago. She was supposed to be slained by Noam, but the mortal spared her life out of pity... I guess.”